Sunday, January 08, 2006

View from the Car Window and More Flowers


After resting from all the morning and afternoon festivities, I spent the evening working on my daughter's pregnancy journal (she's expecting her first baby in May) and continuing my 'sketch a day' resolution.

The penciled pear sits on my bookcase and was painted by a good friend of mine. I did a contour sketch only. The square in the center of the page is a blend of landscape scenery I saw while driving back and forth to my son's house. It's mostly comprised of memory, reality and a great deal of artistic license. The vase is one that's oddly shaped but holds the silk morning glories we used for our wedding almost 14 years ago. I did a few watercolor washes over the vase, which I really liked. Then tried to 'correct' the coloring of the vase and wound up overworking it and ruining the 'sketchy' feel of the vase I had achieved and wound up inking over the pencil to help correct this. Lesson learned: Leave the errors! and note the changes I'll make NEXT TIME!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, your pages look like the sketchbooks
that we buy -- a variety of things on the
page and all really "telling" what you
saw. The vase looks very good to me - but
I know what you mean about reworking. After
awhile you don't like it any more. I
especially like the little pastoral sketch
in the background.
Great work!
Lorraine

Rayna said...

Sketch-a-day is great. I've resolved to do a sketch a week and that's about all I can handle. I love the whimsey of your work.

Unknown said...

I like the variety of the sketches on the page, and the watercolor. It gives a great insight to an artist at work. Plus, the fact that you are committing yourself to drawing daily and obviously doing a good job at it.

MD said...

I like that sketch of the vase. I like the whole page! And good on you fro drawing from memory. I find that so difficutl!
MD