Sunday, February 26, 2006

Vidalia Onions



My dear husband LOVES to go grocery shopping! And BOY am I one lucky woman because I HATE to go shopping! Yesterday he came home with a bag of onions that was his absolutely delight. "Look what I found!" he giggled, with more enthusiasm than a child out of school on a week day. He was simply delirious with joy!

He plucked this bunch of Vidalia onions from the bag, placed them on the counter, and continued to plan an entire meal AROUND the onions. (Did I mention he liked to cook and to eat almost as much as he likes to grocery shop??? And YES, he's taken, ladies! LOL)

So tonight, we'll dine on splendidly fried onions, meatloaf, baked potatoes, and a few gourmet surprises. And I'll plan to add additional walking miles this week!

I not only decided to sketch these beauties because of my husband's enthusiasm for them, but also for the inspiration Laura continues to grace us with. Last month, she inspired us with sketching interiors. This month, she is sketching food. Her food sketches are INCREDIBLE (as is all her work) ! And so, Laura, this sketch is for you and for my husband. THANKS to both of you!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lin, these are a beauty...love the delicate washes...LOL over "yes he's taken, Ladies." he sounds like a keeper to me...

Donn said...

Lin, what a great use of watercolors. You'll do great in Kate's class. I like them.
BTW, I'm a chef too (father's restaurant, military clubs, etc; been cooking since I could pull a chair up to a stove and break an egg.

Linda said...

Mmmm... the onions look yummy!

Carole said...

You seem to have the hang of capturing the energy of something with a few simple lines and washes - less is more. These are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Lin, you ARE the sweetest woman! And you've got good taste in husbands (so do I!) I love your drawing and the story that goes along with it. Sounds like you ate well, honey ;D. I'm going to do the Tag answers in a few minutes, btw.
xoxo,
L

Desiree's Designs said...

Hi Lin, I love your onions! They look like we could cut them up for dinner. I want to paint more of them and garlic, what a challenge.

Terri said...

Lin these are wonderful!! Your love of plants shines through - the detail is wonderful and the colouring just right. Well done!!!

Teri said...

LIN, I WANT YOUR HUSBAND!!! Geesh, he not shops but cooks!! I am sooooooooooo jealous! I so hate shopping and cooking.

Beautiful painting.