Sunday, April 02, 2006

Eleagnus in Fruit


We spent this gloriously warm and sunny day doing yardwork -- cutting back ornamental grasses, spraying weeds, raking. In my tidying, I spotted my Eleagnus in FRUIT!! I don't remember EVER seeing it in fruit before.

Because we were determined to finish as much of the clean-up as we could before we collapsed, I snipped a stem to sketch this evening.

Although I am all aches and pains and can barely get down the stairs without 'oohing' and 'ouching,' I was really pleased with the way this sketch and watercolor wash came out.

For those unfamiliar with Eleangus, the undersides of the leaves are the grayest green and leaves, stems and fruit are covered with these tiny yellow ochre spots.

2 comments:

Sue Seibert said...

Lovely, Lin. Isn't if nice to come upon on a surprise like the eleagnus in fruit!

Lindsay said...

Your botanicals are beautiful! I love the speckeled leaves