Friday, May 19, 2006

More Mother's Day


Although I associate my mom with flowers, especially roses, she loved ALL flowers. I remember her lamenting the loss of her lilacs when she moved to Florida so I thought I'd sketch a lilac for her.

In addition, she is rarely without a crochet hook in her hand! She's fashioned layettes for her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, sweaters for her daughters, the most comfortable SLIPPERS I ask for each year, tablecloths, bedspreads, pillows, placemats, etc. So I've sketched some crochet yarn and hook for her. I remember too a poem I wrote for she and my dad about 20 years ago -- it began "I remember Momma with a crochet hook in hand, weaving threads of color into gifts so grand ...."

Yep -- that's my mom!

5 comments:

Tami said...

Nice sketchy lilacs! I love the the combination of items in the drawing, it is enough information that my mind sees a shady front porch and porch swing on a lazy afternoon with the smell of lilacs wafting through the air and your Mother crocheting. My Grandmother missed her roses and Iris when she moved to Florida.

Linda said...

Beautiful pages!

Carole said...

I love your lilacs and roses for your Mom.

Rissa said...

I wish my mother had crocheted...I had to plead with a neighbor to teach me when I was a child. It sounds like you really hit on a nice memory with the great drawing.

Kathleen Pequignot said...

Oh, I'm glad I didn't miss this entry. How sweet!!!!!