Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Azalea Garden



I found a photo of an azalea garden and it so reminded me of my 20 years of living in Charleston. I attempted a simple (HA HA) watercolor. The 'lighter' version I did first, smearing it as I scanned it. After spending too much time trying to FIX it, I'm going to LEARN from it (the darker version)! LOL If I did it over, which I will soon, I'd use a lighter touch, add more white space!!!, and lighten the background so it doesn't look so gloomy. I did learn, though, that I have a tendency to 'blot' on the watercolor -- and that smoothing it makes for a finer image.

5 comments:

Teri said...

I love azalea's and that is just how they look--all color mixed in with green. Great job Lin! I do like the darker one with more definition.

Donn said...

We are another lover of azaleas. You did very good. I think it's hard to paint azaleas alone, let alone in a garden like this. I think you did pretty good.
You mentioned "blot". What is that? A new term for partial lifting?

Tami said...

I do love the lower one. Not sure about adding more white space, the way you have done it, it gives the feeling a of shady cool space. It reminds me of some of Karen Winters paintings but with deeper colors.

Terri said...

Very impressionistic and quite beautiful Lin. I love the flowers in the second one!

Jana Bouc said...

I like both of them and don't see the smearing or any problems with the background--they're really nice and I agree, do look like Karen's a bit. But I understand your struggle with watercolor. It can be a demanding medium requiring time and patience. I'm curious what paper you used. Getting a watercolor to work out can have to do with the quality of the paper, control of the amount of water in the paint and on the paper, and the size of the brush you're using.