Sunday, July 23, 2006

EDM 76 More Flowers



I plucked a stem from one of my many rose mallows to bring indoors to sketch yesterday. These shrubs were given to me by my neighbor and seem to multiply like rabbits when I'm not looking. Most of them are way above my head in height and so I think this year I'll have to give them a good 'cut.'

I brought the blossom indoors to sketch as the heat and humidity was quickly wilting both the blossom and me. Unfortunately, these flowers don't last long in water, and so I had to snap a photo to complete the sketch before the petals completed closed and withered.

This morning, I noticed that my purple balloon flowers were opening. These are so unusual - they begin their lives as balloon-ish looking, yellow-green buds that swell and resemble a balloon being inflated. The few plants I do have are surrounded by rudbekias, also in bloom, and I couldn't get my chair close enough to the balloon flowers to sketch them. I opted to snap a photo by tenderly wading into the bed trying to avoid crushing the thick clusters of flowers. I snapped a few photos and sketched this from both memory and photo.

I have to admit that I am always in a dilemma about bringing my flowers indoors. I just LOVE walking around the property and seeing the pretty blossoms -- they tend to surprise me with color and scent. And though bringing some of the blossoms indoors to grace the house would also be delightful, I tend to leave them in their beds for the insects to enjoy as well.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice contrast with the blue and yellow flowers!

Zee said...

How lovely! Thanks for sharing your garden with us. :)

I must ask, what pad are you using?

Linda said...

Your flower and garden paintings are lovely! Again, I'd love to see your property -- it must be wonderful. :-)

Terri said...

I'm not sure we call them Rose Mallows here, but I do know the plant you mean. They remind me of hibiscus in many ways - they too fade quickly when picked. Lovely Lin. You've been very productive in the last few days!

Lin said...

Thanks so much for your encouragement! Zee, I use a Raffine sketchbook, 48 pages, spiral -- 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" -- the paper is 'all media' -- 100 pound -- really takes water or pencil very well!

Teri said...

Lin, your garden must be just gorgeous!! These flowers are wonderful. I'm glad you shared these also.

Anastasia said...

These are lovely sketches - very fresh!!!

Paula In Pinetop said...

You do such lovely work ! Wow, all I can say is wow. Your home must be located in a lovely place. Oh and those little sweethearts in the wading pool ! Grandchildren are such a wonderful gift.

Felicity Grace said...

Beautifully done Lin! You have a lovely light touch with the watercolours that's just perfect for such delicate flowers!

starrgirl's world said...

the rose mallow is very charming and I love how you made the lower leaves a darker shade. Also you left some wonderful lights in the upper petals - great job of conveying the form. It is a lovely sketch!

Jana Bouc said...

These are so sweet and full of life. The yellow flowers look like they're dancing in a chorus line. Just delightful--one of my favorites of yours so far.

Teri said...

Beautiful beautiful blossoms Lin! Love those colors and I am imaging your wonderful gardens with these snippets. Must be GORGEOUS!

Anonymous said...

I've tried twice to leave a comment on these lovely sketches, but was unable to :(. I'm always delighted by your floral drawings, Lin. It's easy to see where YOUR heart lies. (Oh, and with the grandchildren, of course!)