Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Grands at the Butterfly House












We took the grands to a nearby museum of life and science yesterday to visit their butterfly house. For those unfamiliar, a butterfly house is a live exhibit hosting plants preferred by specific butterflies, cocoon's, newly emerged, and living butterflies. We had spent the last visit showing the grands the butterflies on our property and getting excited about them (versus considering them BUGS to be wary around!). So when we entered this exhibit, the grands were VERY excited to be standing among flitting and flying butterflies. As part of the exhibit, the museum hosts a full-size window where visitors can watch a technician stringing cocoons, capturing emerged butterflies, and other details of butterfly care. After this fellow captured all the butterflies that had emerged, he entered the live exhibit and let the children hold a butterfly. Emily and Nick were a bit hesitant to do this, so Charles and I held one out to them. Have you ever seen such expressions on the children??!!!

4 comments:

Tami said...

These pictures are delightful, Lin!! I love the butterfly exhibits. I think I could almost live in the one at Marine World.

Teri said...

Adorable! I love the one with the butterfly. Grands are so precious alrn't they?

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes!! I took my daughters to a butterfly house near London when they were tiny and we lived there. It was the most enchanting experience--I loved it when the butterflies landed softly on us. Of course, it's the most delicate touch in the world. Your adorable grandchildren are very lucky to have you and Charles as grandparents!

Felicity Grace said...

Yes, I have photos of my two in butterfly houses too - amazing places aren't they! Your grands are adorable BTW!