Friday, October 06, 2006

EDM 87 My lunch - Pizza


It's been a weird day. My husband headed out to work around 5:00 am this morning. Unable to sleep much past that, I turn on the radio to learn there was a chemical explosion in Apex, NC. I make my way to the phone to call him on his cell; apparently he doesn't have it on, but I leave a message, and crawl back to bed to listen to more news. Half hour later, he calls me to say Apex is being evacuated and he's in a dilly of a traffic jam, but he's heading back home. The fire, he tells me, is less than 1/4 mile from where he works!

One and a half hours later, he finally makes his way home through the dark and rain ... and we sit in front of the TV with mugs of coffee and learn that the chemical recycling plant, Environmental Quality, has had an explosion, and there's a chemical cloud of something hovering over the city. Folks were evacated and the rain was helping drop the particulate matter to the ground instead of having the wind carry it elsewhere. No one's been hurt -- thank heavens -- but tonight folks are still unable to return to their homes and the air and water quality folks are still conducting their tests.

And so, having an extra day with my sweetie, we have a day of rest -- the rain giving us the perfect excuse to do no weeding, no major home jobs, no anything more than take a few naps and catch up on our rest after the last very busy weekends.

I decide to finally sketch my lunch for the day -- PIZZA (since I have more than one slice available!! LOL)-- and being home, I am able to eat a slice while I sketch my 'challenge.'

12 comments:

clearart said...

I like warm touch.
It always comes to see.
I am glad of your comment.
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Lin, thank God nothing worse happened with this disaster! Glad to read that you guys got some quiet down time. Have a great weekend and get in some great sketching!

Sue Seibert said...

Wow, Lin, I'm so thankful your husband is ok.

It is wonderful to get an extra day...I remember that, but I love the "extra" days we have now...most all the time. Retirement is good.

Have a grea weekend.

Anonymous said...

Yumm! Pizza! :)
I only hope you did eat this piece too, after drawing it beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Lin, Thank goodness your Hubby is fine! And an extra day with your Sweetheart is a bonus!
Have a great day!

Teri said...

Oh Lin, how scary when it hits so close to home!!

Love your pizza and the plate it is on. Great job esp. with all that was going on.

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

you are aking me hungry.,,..do you know how long it has been since i had a piece of bread...bute hey i am skinnier and lots more energy...BUT I WOULD LOVE some good pizza like you painted

Lorraine said...

We watched it last night and again tonight.
It's incredible that so many people didn't know it was that close to their homes. What a relief that Charles didn't arrive any sooner or that the explosion didn't happen later.

Glad you had some quiet time together but what a way to get it!

And your pizza looks good enough to eat.
Bruce made pizza for the first time this weekend -- must be the fall weather!
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

I read about that on the internet here in Paris. Yikes, scary. But your story and your wonderful little sketch are so homey and comforting. Hope there was not too much damage. You have so little time for relaxing, sweet Lin---I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your extra day with Charles!

Felicity Grace said...

This made me laugh to think of you eating pizza - I was just thinking of you yesterday when I bought a bottle of Sicilian olive oil - it's scrumptious BTW, like your painting!

Anonymous said...

Greeting! I really like the harmony of colours ... and of course glad you and your family are safe! Cheers!
Mary Ellen

Jana Bouc said...

I thought of you when I heard about the explosion. It sounded pretty bad. I'm glad you and your family are ok and that it gave you a chance to have some down time together. Nice pizza painting too!