Wednesday, October 18, 2006

EDM 89 Buttons


buttons
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
I used this challenge to try various 'styles' in my continued attempt to try to understand my own way of working ...

The model was a plastic, 1" button with a pearl like center surrounded by a semi-chain of gold ...

1. Watercolor alone -- no underdrawing -- While I like the softness of this, I can see I need a TON of practice to get better shapes and definition with a brush ...

2. I like the splash of ink - but think the lines are a bit too heavy

3. Pencil with watercolor -- a softer version that I tend to use

4. Pencil with watercolor and a mere touch of ink for shadow -- I think the shadow could have been better achieved with a liner brush and wtercolor

5. Is probably my favorite -- pencil undersketch, touches of LIGHT ink and watercolor

6. Pencil alone -- okay, but I miss the color

I'll continue these experiments as I haven't felt the 'AHA' of a particular style ... what I have determined is that even after 15 months of sketching (okay, so I'm a tad impatient!! LOL) -- I have a LONG way to go to achieve the accuracy and detailing I admire in others' works -- and DITTO for the watercolor!

16 comments:

Lorraine said...

Hmm, I like them all but No. 3 is my favorite. I really like what you did here - the comparison -- it's a very interesting
exercise. When I first opened up the page,
I thought I'd gotten on some other page -- was expecting more Italy!!! Nice surprise.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Ramesh Gandhi said...

This is very interesting for me because I've just begun to do pencil with wash and a little bit of pen to highlight - and I like it very much. I might have discovered it sooner if I had been as systematic as you are. Nice work.

Anonymous said...

Interesting excercise, I love the way you play... and get very nice results

Anonymous said...

Lin, what a great way to explore! Good for you!

XO
Kate

Brenda Yarborough said...

I like #5 best. Maybe it's because this is the style I already recognize as "Lin." Do you think a person's style can change with the subject or mood - ie. are there artists who have more than one style? Maybe you have more than one style and you are fighting with yourself to find just one? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

SO interesting, Lin! I think the art thing is a lifelong ride, so buckle up!
Xoxo,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Ooo. Great experiments! I'm sort of fond of the #2 ... high colour w dark marker. It may be a subject matter thing and what you've actually drawn ... a fashion item as opposed to a plain ordinary button ... and the bold treatment seems to fit w bold fashion. :)
Cheers!
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous, Lin!! I also like the pencil one!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

fun approach ....grerat idea!

Anonymous said...

I sure like your idea of trying different techniques on the ame picture. Am going to have to try that myself as it seems a great way to learn.
Liked number 5 the best but each one has its own merits. You do a good job of critiquing your own work.

Anonymous said...

Lin,

I just love your blog! You're so creative!

Terri said...

5 is my favourite too. Interesting. Thanks for posting these little experimentations Lin. I learn a lot just from watching you!!

Anonymous said...

Whata neat idea to try out different style on the same object. I like no. 5, but you know I always do love that touch of ink.

Jana Bouc said...

To me, you have a very distinctive style already. All of these look nice, but since the image size was pretty small, it was hard for me to be able to really see the differences between them. It's fun to play and experiment with different ways of working! What a joy art brings to life, don't you think?

Felicity Grace said...

Nice to see you playing like this Lin! I like no.5 too and yes, I agree with Jana you have a distintive style already!

Teri said...

Great experiment Lin! You already have a distinctive style and it shows in each one. I could have picked these out as being yours.