Wednesday, October 25, 2006

EDM 90 Wings


I sketched this bee to honor the work of this important pollinator. There was a recent news items about the threatened condition of our bees and it reminded me of the book by Gary Nabhan "The Forgotten Pollinators" -- an entire volume about the imporant work of these wee creatures and the precarious condition of many of these species.

When my dh and I moved to the woodlands, instead of grass, we planted clover to help draw more bees to our gardens -- especially because the bees pollinated the many vegetables we were growing. We also severely limited our use of pesticides as well. Over the years, we've seen area farmers RENT bee hives so that their crops were pollinated sufficiently for a crop to be grown and harvested. Scary .....

So, honor the bees, and other wee winged warriors ....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Lin. Beautiful and thought provoking.

Lorraine said...

Oh what a good story. I really enjoyed reading The Secret Life of Bees but have managed to forget most of it! I love your
yellow flower and the prominent bee -- as
he should be given the story! You would make a great book illustrator and writer.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

I love your bee Lin. I too read the Secret Life of Bees. I have a special affinity for bees since my name means the bee and my maiden name was Bemis pronounced bee-miss.

Anonymous said...

Lin! Your last few posts are amazing. What you did with the apples and grapes was simply gorgeous. You are getting better and better. The bee is so cute too!

Teri said...

Lin, this is a wonderful and beautiful tribute to that tiny worker! I love Gary Nabhan's books also.

Anonymous said...

I love this bee sketch. Its great!

Anonymous said...

I so agree, we should take care of the bees.

Love your work, as always. The light and shadow on your apples are amazing, and I like all your pictures of fall leaves and trees too.

Anonymous said...

Greetings: I love the flower. That is a wicked awesome marigold! Cheers! Mary Ellen

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

fun...arent they fascinating???

Tami said...

I love the bees! I try to do my small part by informing customers that come into the nursery to buy "bug spray" for bees, that we need all the bees we can get and with out them we have no fruits and veggies! Your drawing is GREAT!

Jana Bouc said...

What a cute little guy all color coordinated with his flower! I heard that show too...one more thing to worry about! The painting would be a good to illustrate a poster about why we need bees.

Ujwala Prabhu said...

you're a good story teller. wonderful sketch too :D

Anonymous said...

Well done, Lin. You are so right about the bees. We need them!