Sunday, October 15, 2006

Glencoe Village Front Porch Festival

Glencoe

glencoe antiques

Saturday, Charles and I drove an hour and a half to see the Glencoe Village near Burlington for their Front Porch festival. My friend, Kathleen was exhibiting some of her fine Italian watercolors and we wanted to see her. It was a glorious, cool fall day, and Charles took all the backroads from Oxford to Burlington -- beautiful, beautiful!! The trees, with the colder evenings we've been having, are finally turning to yellow and gold and a bit of red. And the drive was really nice.

Glencoe, I understand, was a mill town -- complete with factory and mill houses that is now being renovated, restored and preserved. The festival exhibits, most on the front porches of the homes in the loop-road festival area, showed some wonderful antiques, food, wines from Alamance County, even imported Italian olive oil, artwork, quilts and the like. I took a number of photographs (see my Flickr for photos). The mill produced cotton goods including socks, and the small museum was awesome -- allowing me to take several photos within its walls.

We had a great time -- and will visit again. And it was terrific to see Kathleen again, too!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea for a festival! Your drawings are great as usual!

Anonymous said...

Lin,

These are lovely. Your botanical background really shines through. I'm so envious of anyone who knows how to paint groups of trees, flowers, other landscaping details and can make them look so good.

Lorraine said...

You just keep getting better and better. I think you have to stop calling these "sketches" -- they are more and more "full grown paintings." The details are so good Lin. These are no longer "impressions of" but "actual representations."
Hugs,
Lorraine

Brenda Yarborough said...

I agree 100% with Lorraine!
What a wonderful outing and, again, you've really captured the essence of it in your artwork!! Very well done, my friend!!

Unknown said...

this is beautiful, warm and charming!

Anonymous said...

I'm partial to wheels myself, so am especially taken by these two sketches, cara. Well done!

Penny said...

What lovely reminders of a lovely day, I know I keep saying that but you will have such fun looking back on these.

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

WELL DONE!!!fun stuff...what is the thing behind the tricycle?? A juke box is all i can think of??

Terri said...

Sounds like a delightful place. Love these too Lin. Your skill with watercolour washes is inspiring. You really have honed it to perfection these days. :o)

Jana Bouc said...

These are lovely and so interesting. It sounds like a great day. I visited Katharine's site too and I think your painting is just as nice as hers and somewhat similar (I noticed a common Sicilian theme). My family is from Kiev in the Ukraine originally so I've been trying to think what the Yiddish version of your "Cara" would be.

Jana Bouc said...

P.S. I noticed you're almost at one year of blogging based on your archive dates! Congratulations!

Tami said...

Linny, I don't know, these two are ranking right up there as my favorites of yours! They are very nicely done!