Thursday, October 19, 2006

Prickly Pears


With a nod to Teri and the cooler temperatures these past two weeks, the prickly pears that ornament many of our southern gardens are ripening to a rich, wine red. Though I used a photo reference for this sketch (and some memory), the pears are especially ripe at the Mexican restaurants around my college's town.

Years ago when I had more time, I used to collect these fruits and render them into salads and jams -- the color was just perfect for holiday season gifts!

7 comments:

Brenda Yarborough said...

Excellent job, Lin! You've acheived a loose and yet realistic look!!
I LOVE prickly pear jam, and was going to ask if you wanted a recipe so you could jar some up in your copious free time - LOL!

Rachel Murphree said...

Beautiful! They're ripening here too, in actually chilly El Paso, Texas!

Sue Seibert said...

Wow, it has taken me all day for Blogger to let me see the prickly pears! They are awesome!

Terri said...

They go to waste over here because nobody knows you can eat them. I'd heard from an old-timer you can make jam from them, but never seen or tasted it. This is a great drawing Lin. Very realistic.

Lorraine said...

I've never seen a prickly pear - thought they were an urban legend LOL. Gorgeous painting Lin.
Lorraine

Teri said...

Oh Lin, you should be here too! They are the first thing I saw when we got here. You did an absolutely wonderful job on these.

Alison said...

lovely contrasts in colour and texture here