Monday, October 09, 2006

Venice Doorway


venice doorway bonny
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
My good friend Bonny (http://bonnyracca.typepad.com/bonnys_pages/) has kindly shared her Italy photos with me, and I"m using them as an armchair travel adventure to learn to sketch a bit more architecture.

Here is a doorway in Venice ... and though the left side of the doorway is a bit wonky, I loved the challenge of all those bricks and perspective ... I've still got a long way to go to feel comfortable sketching perspective, but with thanks to Bonny I will not only have lots of practice, but will be practicing AND traveling to a place I love.

Thanks, Bonny!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Won't you have a great time drawing Venice!! I tell you, practice makes for ease in drawing and you're a great example of that. This is a charming entry into your new Venetian sketches ;D.

Teri said...

Wonky or not, I love it. I am excited to see this new adventure Lin! I know how much it means to you and I'm sure these sketches will be filled with love and excitment.

Anonymous said...

YES to the wonky door! I love it! Gosh, everything is in that wonky door and your choice to leave it as is! I think you did a great job with the wall too!

Tami said...

This is interesting Lin! I can't wait to see how you progress on this project. I know I keep saying it, but,"I love wonky". I think it is so very cool that you are doing sketches of someplace that you love!

Felicity Grace said...

It won't take YOU long Lin! Lovely atmosphere here!

Lorraine said...

What a nice idea to paint from her photos.
Remember to scan them in black and white to get the shading and help with perspective (listen to the one who never does!!!).
Very nice; I especially like the colors.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Jana Bouc said...

This is beautiful Lin. And it doesn't look like a painting of a photo--it has the heart and soul of the place in it.