Sunday, January 07, 2007

Landscape, EDM 100


Landscape, EDM 100
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
It was a gorgeous day yesterday -- in the 70sF! And I finally had a chance to get outdoors!

My friend Lorraine had given me a FABULOUS artseat for Christmas, so I packed that with my set of watercolors, pencil and sketchpad and walked my property searching for a 'landscape' view.

I stopped near the front entrance where the path begins around one section of the property. I sat in the warm sunshine, birds aflutter, and sketched the scene.

The coloring is a bit brighter in the scan than in my journal - but the trees, shrubs, ornamental grasses, and emerging plants are all there! (I did eliminate the weeds -- which were difficult to ignore! My choice was to weed or sketch -- I decided to sketch!)

I find landscapes a bit of a challenge - so much to decide - what to leave in, what to leave out, shadows, textures, perspectives. I'll probably do more of these for the practice I need!

Flora (L to R): Single-trunk birch (peeling like crazy!), emerging daylilies, red cedar, yellow mops, pines, several varieties of ornamental grasses, bare sweetgum. WN Watercolors in Raffine sketchbook.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work Lin, and what fun to see a bit of your property!

Anonymous said...

What a great bit of property and it sounds like you had a lovely time! It's reflected in your lovely sketch. Cheers.

Nina Johansson said...

I love this one! I find landscapes a bit of a challenge too, I´ve always felt more inspired and at ease in cities. I should go out and practice some... You did a great job on this, I love the colors!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift to yourself, Miss Lin! I love the record of your day...you did a wonderful job. Good decision, too--weed or sketch? SKETCH! That, you'll have forever...

And yes, landscapes ARE a challenge! Why do you think my first book for North Light was "Painting Nature's details in Watercolor"?!? ;-) I focused on what I could handle at the time...no harm, no fault!

Anonymous said...

lovely painting of what sounds like a lovely day! thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Lovely landscape Lin!

Teri said...

Oh it looks so lovely Lin, I want to walk and paint with you. Looks like you and I are starting on a landscape journey.

Anonymous said...

Lovely litle painting Lin looks like an interesting garden

Anonymous said...

Lovely landscape! Definitely sketch instead of weed - that's a "no brainer!" LOL.

Anonymous said...

Great landscape! I think they are quite difficult to do around here this time of year -- all the browns just run together, but you made it so interesting! :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a perfect gift for you - hang on to that lovely friend! ;) Have fun!!