Monday, July 02, 2007

Caltagirone and Friday's Cooking Class


Caltagirone
Originally uploaded by linfrye
This past Friday, my husband and I returned to our delectable Italian market for our ‘Italian’ cooking lesson. OH MY GOSH!!! Talk about indulging and delicious!!

Our cooking class was small – six counting C and me. Titina (see http://www.capriflavors.com/) did the cooking instruction and provided a wonderful recipe book for the dishes we prepared! The freshest ingredients were used – most imported directly from Italy – including a gorgeous Radicchio! Oh my gracious – the color and the taste! Our menu:

Pasticcio di Spaghetti con Salome e Gamberoni
(Layered Spaghetti with Salmon and Shrimp) -- to DIE for!

Pollo all’Arancia
(Chicken with Orange Sauce) – AND chestnuts – HEAVEN!

Radicchio Rosso
(Braised Radicchio with Prosciutto)

Sorbetto di’Pompelmo al Campari
(Grapefruit Sorbet with Campari)

Titina is from the Isle of Capri and speaks with the a charming Italian accent. Her husband joined us at the table, and the couples with us were delightful as well! Over the most incredible food (yes, rich and a bit too much – I’m returning to the gym ASAP!! LOL), and the talk of Italy and tours, and food, and travel – it was a blissful evening!

I painted this image this past week of the agro-tourism dwelling we stayed in while visiting Caltagirone, Sicily two years ago. I thought posting it today would be quite fitting –the dinner, the company and the food – all reminding me of the trip of a lifetime.

10 comments:

Lorraine said...

Lovely loose painting -- you do both styles -- detailed and loose -- so well! And what a delightful story. I'm hungry and it's only 8ish in the morning!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Kerstin Klein said...

wow. the scenery is beautiful!

Lindsay said...

Oh, my! You are creative in many ways. Cooking class sounds wonderful! My daughter and I are making cheese this week and I'll have a post. Mozerella takes 30 miutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful landscape too!

Tami said...

Oh My Gosh,Lin!!! This is gorgeous! The play of light and shadow is absloutely wonderful!!! The cooking class sounds like heaven!!!

Brenda Yarborough said...

Beautiful landscape -- your choice of the yellow/green in the foreground really really really adds dimension!! Your varied greens in the background are perfect -- just an exceptional little painting all around--LOVE it!!

Teri said...

What a beautiful landscape and my mouth is watering :)

Anonymous said...

Breathtakingly beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Next to being right there on Capri, this sounds like just the very best. And I love your painting, too. I envy you a shop like that, both for the groceries and the lessons!

mARTa said...

ho fame!!!! volio mangare la tua cena. ok, so my italian is very rusty. LOl. of course the painting is quite fitting for such a savory post! Brava!

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous, Lin! And love that sky - talkcjibcl about making colors sing!!!!