Saturday, October 13, 2007

Birches


Birches
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Last year I had the supreme pleasure of taking a class from Karlyn Holman (www.karlynholman.com) during Jerry's "Art in the Carolinas." From that class, I purchased several of Karyln's books and a couple of DVDs in which she demonstrates a 'throwing paint' method that she learned from Nita Leland. The birches above, were done following her DVD landscape demonstration.

What I like about this kind of painting is the combination of 'loose and control' -- for the 'throwing part' certainly helps me to loosen up my expectations and work with the spatters, splatters and colors that land on the paper rather than my tendency to keep 'fiddling' with the paint to make it do as I want! LOL But I do get a chance to 'control' a bit with the shaping and shadows on the trees -- so for me, a good combination of methods and a terrific exercise in loosening up and working WITH the inherent properties of watercolors.

Besides -- I LOVE fall and its vibrant colors -- and if I can't have them in my poor, dry woodlands, what a gift it is to be able to create them on my paper!

19 comments:

Patti G. said...

GORGEOUS Lin!!!!!!!
Hugs,Patti

Jenny said...

Beautiful and exciting! Love the looseness.

Lorraine said...

Oh Lin, this is my absolute favorite of all your paintings. Of course you know I love trees and especially birches. This is an absolutely incredibly gorgeous painting. Can you tell that I LOVE it!!!
Hugs and BRAVO,
Lorraine

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Lin-this is just gorgeous!! Must be great technique!!! Love it!!

hugs, chris

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful Lin! You've succeeded in capturing all the beauty of fall in this painting...just gorgeous!
Ronell

seesue said...

Lin, this is such a fabulous painting! I hope you've given this one pride of place in your living room where you can feel the autumn crispness whenever the air-conditioning clicks on. ;-)

Teri said...

OMG!!! This is just gorgeous!!!!!!

Liberty4Ever said...

I've been looking over Lorraine's shoulder and watching with interest as you have grown as an artist. I agree with Lorraine. Much as I liked your earlier work, Birches is my favorite to date. (Hey, get over the Tuscan doorways, already! :^)

Keep painting, and keep posting so we can all enjoy you talent.

Bruce

Anonymous said...

Spectacular! Hopefully this one is bigger than a notebook sketch! One of my all time favorites!

Terri said...

The foliage is beautiful Lin, but my favourite element in this painting is the trunks. I feel I could almost touch them. So real, so wonderful.

Karen Sandstrom said...

Frame it, Lin. It's spectacular!

Linda said...

I think the right word is WOWZA! I never use that word, either.
:-) This is fantastic!

Shelly McC said...

wow! Stunning result!

MD said...

This is so GORGEOUS!!!! So full of sparking light!
MD
x

Carole said...

WOW! That's worked well. How on earth can you pick up a technique just like that, and do it so brilliantly straight away? These are lovely. They are definitely birch trees through and through.

Lindsay said...

This is wonderful! I loved hearing about the technique. WC is so hard to cotrol that its fun to just let it have its way. I love your color choices.

Brenda Yarborough said...

Absolutely AWESOME!!! What a neat technique and you've executed it PERFECTLY. Love the palette --- and really LOVE the way it combines loose and control!!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I love the way you've left little flecks of white, so bright and lovely.

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are really lovely. Amazing colors.