Friday, October 05, 2007

For Ken - Precious


For Ken - Precious
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Rebecca, the owner of the B&B I've lived in for the last four years while working out of town, lost her husband last year from Alzheimers disease. During his terrible last months, he clung to this 'baby doll' they named Precious.

Several weeks ago, Rebecca asked me to sketch his doll for a special 'giving away' ceremony she will do at her church in Ken's memory. I was honored! (and VERY nervous!!) There is so much sybolism, love and memories in this one piece -- just as in Precious herself -- as Ken was still with us when I first started sketching.

I finally finished Precious -- the first doll I've ever sketched. Rebecca was pretty pleased with my efforts and I am grateful and honored to be a part of this ceremony.

(BTW, the scan doesn't do this justice, I'm afraid!)

6 comments:

Teri said...

Lin, what a wonderful thing to do, both you and Rebecca. Beatiful painting for a beautiful memory.

Lorraine said...

Oh Lin it's adorable and so well done. What a wonderful thing for you to do for Rebecca. You've mastered yet another genre!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

This is lovely. I think you did a wonderful job. Alzheimers is such a horrid disease ... Rebecca, I'm sure loved it.

Bonny said...

Alzheimer's Disease is horrible, both for the people suffering from it and for those who love them. I lost Mom to Alzheimer's too, so I know.
What a beautiful idea to remember Ken with a little ceremony like that. Your sketch is really super, too.
I'll remember Ken and Rebbecca in my prayers.

Carole said...

Oh, Lin, this is very well done. It's very poignant the way the little doll is waving as if to say goodbye. You've done a great job with her.

Joan Y said...

Lin, what a wonderful act of love. I lost my mom to Alzheimer's as well ... your efforts must have meant so much to them. I will keep all of you in my prayers. Hugs, J