Friday, October 19, 2007

Persimmon


Persimmon
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Each fall, my craving for persimmons intensifies; and each fall, I try to capture the elusive 'orange/yellow/vividness' of this fruit.

With the drought we are experiencing, I have yet to find a persimmon in the grocery store, and my generous student whose family raises them, saddens me as he reports there are no persimmons -- due to a late frost, high heat, no rain. SIGH!

Undeterred, I decide to find a photo to drool over and wish from, and try, yet another fall, to capture these persimmons in a more 'painterly' fashion.

This is my third attempt, and one I'm fairly pleased with, and a bit better, in my humble opinion, of my attempts last year (see viewfromtheoak.blogspot.com -- and search for 'persimmon'). When I did this same search and rediscovered the bounty I had last year, well, I just had to sigh!

Guess I'll have to be happy with an improving persimmon PAINTING instead of a persimmon pudding! LOL

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

That's the spirit - be happy with a much improved p. painting! LOL I worry that we are going to have to give up a lot of good things with this global warming and resultant weird weather patterns. Maybe you could check with Indiana -- persimmons are very popular there; not here for some reason!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

You did great with these persimmons..they look as healthy as they indeed are- loaded with vitamins and essential amino acids. You'll have to redo them next year, when they'll be in abundance again...I just believe it.
Ronell

Teri said...

My goodness, I am had now idea they were so hard to get. Glad you had a photo as this painting is wonderfully full of color.

Jana Bouc said...

Lovely colors. One of these days I'm going to have to try to eat one of these--I've never tasted persimmon. Whenever I hear about the drought in your area I think of you and how sad it must be to see your garden suffering.

Penny said...

We are heading for another drought too, I am watering while I can but think that unless we get some summer rain more things will suffer. i love persimmons too, we ate dried ones in Japan and I used to love seeing them on the trees and hanging from the upstairs windows. I have tried growing them here but they dont like our very sandy dry soil. I love looking at your paintings and really liked the silver birches.

Anonymous said...

In Western NC there was high heat, drought, and the Easter freeze, as well. And yet in September I found persimmons. I hadn't had real persimmons for probably 30 years! I ate a few and saved the seeds, which I intend to plant into my tree row, where my beautiful maples were removed.