Monday, December 31, 2007
Lavender Flowers and Art Goals
Art Goals - Here's what I promised to do in 2007 with my opinion of results:
* Sketch/paint daily - I've met this goal for the second year in a row.
* Practice more faces and figures - Hardly did this ... I have a few faces of my grands I'm fairly pleased with, but I've done my best to avoid this difficult for me subject ... sigh ..
* Sketch more scenes from daily life - I've met this goal fairly well, I think
* Sketch the everyday - recognizing the extraordinariness of life - I think I've done pretty well with this, though the movement from 'picture to art' is something I'd like to spend more time on this year. I'm learning again and again that there's something more to seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary and rendering THAT perspective through my artwork ...
* Work through the many art books on my shelves -- I've done a fair job on this, though to tell the truth, I keep acquiring more books to work through! LOL
* Practice more values and perspective - Though I've focused a bit more on value sketches prior to painting, I think this area needs a bit more attention on my part. I cannot help but recognize that one of the strengths of a good painting is a good drawing!
* LOOSEN UP!! Success to some degree here -- but though I love that painterly, loose look, I don't achieve that as often as I set out to ...
* Increase my economy of line and sketching speed - I find it's taking me LONGER to paint something I'm happy with than LESS time --- sigh! But I don't know if that's so bad ... I'm making myself LEARN as I'm doing ... and so perhaps there's a compromise here somewhere.
* Use richer colors - but keep them transparent - I think I've actually met this goal this year -- yeah!
* Sketch more things of meaning - I met this goal for sure.
* Increase my journal entries - -- especially more writing -- Somewhat met
* Improve page compositions - I've met this fairly well, but I've recognized the need to gain a bit more theory behind this goal and so will focus a bit more on this for 2008.
and as always:
PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!
I've DEFINITELY met this goal!
Overall, I'm still learning and practicing, still need improvement, and still have a long way to go with meeting each of these goals. But today will be spent pondering 2008 and what I'd like to truly emphasize.
BTW, as I was reviewing 2007, I found that LAST year after Christmas I came down with the same 'bug,' and I drew a rose and a loose rendering of flowers ... meaningful????? LOL
HAPPY ALMOST 2008!!