Sunday, May 04, 2008

Watching Nature


Watching Nature
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice - Journal Entry

Yesterday was a busy one for us -- lots of visiting art galleries, openings, festivals -- more about that tomorrow....

But Friday -- such a splendid, quiet evening watching Nature ....

After dinner (Earthen Beef Roast from the annual fund-raiser of one of our town's many clubs), the evening was so delightfully warm and balmy, that C sat on the swing practicing his guitar, and I sat in the middle of the woodlands on the bridge he built me years ago. I sketched the scene before me - a portion of our raised bed gardens - the snowball viburnum hanging over and shading the bench we never use since we're WORKING in the garden!! LOL, the Indian Hawthorn I trimmed up to be a tree last year, and the holly that has grown so large that it almost obscures our small greenhouse.

As I sketched, I gave thanks again for Joey's return ... and in my musings, heard a commotion in the trees .....

I stopped what I was doing, and C and I drew closer to the trees to find the bluebird parents coaxing out their young to fledge the nest ....

We watch as two babies take wing, and a third misses his flight and plops to the ground. The parents remain with this young one, twitering and warbling and coaxing it in 'bluebird talk' to fly. I get close enough for a photo.... and then finally -- OFF he takes! Meanwhile, the other two hatchlings (there were five eggs) must have taken off without the parents seeing, because the parents continued to squawk at the now empty bluebird box ....

Still, what a thrill -- to watch three of the five bluebirds take wing!

What a day!

No comments: