Friday, June 20, 2008

Trumpet Vine Loosely Interpreted

I wanted to try something different --- and for me, this was SO difficult -- remaining really loose and 'washy' and seeing if I could leave it alone! LOL

I worked on this trumpet vine quickly, with lots of water, adding more pigment as each layer dried to deepen the values. It took about an hour and a half, and I had to then put it AWAY and sketch something with more accuracy....

I like it as it is -- a loose 'interpretation' ... rather than an attempt at 'duplication' ... my dh doesn't like it at all, telling me 'it's not my style.' .....LOL But I enjoyed the playfulness of the process ... that 'playing with water and paint' ....it was fun!

I may have to do this again -- though quite honestly, it was as hard for me to do as sketching people!!! LOL

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lin,
I really, really like it. Variation and new chal;lenges are goos for all of us!

Anonymous said...

Can you tell that it is really early in the morning and my typing fingers haven't awakened. I should learn to reread my comments for typos!

Dabs - Carol Holt said...

Lovely, watercolorly... well done!

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Every time I come to visit your blog you manage to surprise me... always a wonderful surprise. :) I love it! Very delicate and it does not show the hard time you had trying to remain "loose"...

(Thank you for the recipe offer...If I remeber right you are also on Wet Canvas (as Lin?)... I'll write you an PM with my email. Thank you! :))

Sandy said...

Oh Lin, I know it is so hard to be loose and STOP, you captured the style perfectly!! Bravo - I believe it takes practice (and the right attitude) to accomplish.

Joan said...

Lin, You got some nice variation in the colors!! You did a really nice,loose job on this!!! Isn't it hard not to go back in and just fiddle with it. I have a hard time letting things stay loose and just do what they do. Good for you that you tried something different.

Linda said...

Oooh -- this is fun! Look at how beautifully the yellow melds into the red. You can't accomplish that any other way. Perfect!

Teri said...

Oh wow, it's just gorgeous Lin!!!

Tami said...

I feel your pain! But I ablsoutely LOVE the way these came out. It isn't your usual style but it may be something you want incorporate bits of into your style and that takes playing with it.

Anonymous said...

Ah, just when I said something about switching styles -- you do it again -- and beautifully. The detail in your wall yesterday is so well done, I can "see" the depth of the stone work" and here I can just imagine that my eyes are seeing this flower through a mist. Just lovely!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Robyn Sinclair said...

With due respect to your dh, Lin he showed sublime taste when he chose you as his partner but he is no judge of your paintings. I gasped with delight when I saw this one! It's absolutely beautiful and I wish it were mine.