Monday, June 09, 2008

Willow Oak at Sundown


Willow Oak at Sundown
Originally uploaded by linfrye
The temperatures have been soaring these days, so it isn't until the sun is far into the west that my husband and I take our daily walk around our neighborhood. If we head to the main road, we pass a beautifully planted row of Willow Oaks along the property line of one of our neighbors. This week, as we walked while the sun was just beginning to set behind the last row of trees, the last light of evening back-shadowed the willows and lit paths of light on the most wonderful, airy grasses (wish I knew the name!!), rendering them a pale pink against the bright spots of yellow and light green.

I usually walk with my camera in hand, hoping to 'see' something to use as a reference later on (it's far too hot to paint outdoors lately! LOL) -- and I was excited to capture that fleeting light and bits of yellow and pink ...

We walked again last evening after I finished this painting -- and someone had mowed down those fluffs of grass .. sigh ... I was even more delighted that I was able to 'catch' this fleeting moment ...

5 comments:

Carole said...

This looks soft, restful and shady. I really like your landscapes.

Anonymous said...

The soft pink against the dark green perfectly captures the time and setting. Lovely. Photographers always say: shoot it while you can because it is all so temporary, including the light!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

It is so lovely and great colors.

Joan said...

It's a good thing you captured this when you did. I love the look of those soft grasses and the dramatic shadow from the tree. Keep cool!

Ivona Hrvatin said...

You captured the light on the grass wonderfully. Great combination of colours.