Monday, August 17, 2009

Gaillardia - Blanket Flower


Gaillardia - Blanket Flower
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal
Inspired by Ann Blockley

I love blanket flowers! Among all the pinks in my garden, these bright yellow, oranges really stand out!

They remind me of a low-growing sunflower -- in their color, at least! According to Wikipedia, the common name refers to the flower's resemblance to brightly patterned blankets made by native Americans.

These annual and perennial plants are drought tolerant and are loved by various butterflies. I like them especially because they remind me of fall, my favorite season.

Already our dogwoods are showing tinges of yellow and red, our sycamore and poplars are become more and more golden and some are already dropping their leaves. I know a lot of these conditions are due to our recent droughts, but this August has been so much cooler than in the last few years -- not that I'm complaining in the least. But with hurricanes already named, we in North Carolina are beginning to see a bit of fall.

Where did summer go??

No comments: