Monday, November 09, 2009

Oxford Barns


Oxford Barns
Originally uploaded by linfrye
12" x 14"
Arches 140# CP

I have passed these old barns so many times since moving to Oxford, that I promised myself that one day I would stop the car, walk into the woods, take a decent photo, and paint them.

I finally did.

While these two structures sit close to the road, the woodlands and traffic make stopping somewhat risky. One quiet day early this month, C and I managed a quick, hurried stop. The barns somewhat more decayed than I've painted here - but that's another painting.

C's jam, our dinner with guests, music, walks - all went beautifully yesterday. Fabulous company, including my son who's improving daily, fun and laughter, sun-shining and warm temps all contributed to a really enjoyable and blessed day. It's been a very welcome respite.

Today I dash into the office, teach a bit, and then dash again to the airport to pick up my guest for the week. Art classes begin in the morning, so I'll be scarce on the 'net this week. With my crazy schedule I don't often get the chance to attend art classes, and so this week is a true gift and much anticipated time to actually WATCH others create and ask questions.

I hope your week is terrific, and I'll post as I can -- but you can bet, I'll be painting daily!!! YAHOO!

4 comments:

Teri said...

Love your use of light in this! So pretty.

Joan said...

I love the barns that you paint!!! I always get the feeling of country, a quieter time, and tradition! Lovely job!!! Have a great week with the workshops.

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Wonderful painting. The barns are excellent. Also love the tree branches on the right side, the soft color palette and the light you were able to create.

Enjoy the workshops, dear Lin!! :))

Lorraine said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful. I just love those old rusty roofs and weathered barns.

So glad you had such a nice day yesterday and that you will be able to paint paint paint this week and be able to enjoy it with a friend!
Hugs,
Lorraine