Sunday, May 16, 2010

Inspired by a field of Batchelor Buttons

Daily Practice
Journal

In one of our walks around Oxford, C and I came across "God's Acre' - a corner lot that for years has been planted in flowers -- right in the middle of town. This time, the field was filled with batchelor's buttons - an incredible sea of blue and lavender! We walked among the many stalks, watching the bees do their work, and trying to capture that beauty on film.

I've tried since that walk to paint the scene, and all the blues and greens with bits of purples seemed to merge into one same tone. This is the closest I could get to keep a bit of impressionism and still capture all that blue and green.

The family reunion yesterday was fun. It was held at a lakeside park, and all the children were in the water most of the day. Temps reached 95!! C and his cousins sang and played their instruments, and the rest of us listened and enjoyed the picnic. A nice get away.

AND, we finally had rain! Thunder, lightning too - but about 3 am this morning, the rain came - and the crashing of the thunder, the flashing of the lights, and the most welcome strong pattering of rain on our skylights woke me up -- but a good wake up call! LOL

We may be in for a bit more rain today, and C's cousins and friends are coming here for another music jam.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

So soft and lovely and I love how you used the greens to shade the foliage. And your sky is super!!

We had rain last night also and it's much cooler today. YEAH!

Enjoy your day.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

That must have been a beautiful view and so is your painting!!

Joan said...

LOVELY!!! I just love the blues and greens together!! It just makes me smile.

Glad you got some needed rain. Your reunion sounds like a lot of fun.

I've had a busy weekend...the WW sketchcrawl yesterday and then I'm heading over to an art exhibit my local group is doing at the arboretum today. I have 2 paintings in the show. It should be fun.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!