Monday, May 03, 2010

Shades of Bluebells and Texture

9" x 12"
Arches #140CP

I am still enthralled with the new ideas presented in Karlyn Holman's new book. I love how she is combining elements of collage and watercolor. Since I started my visual journey with collage, these ideas return me to my 'roots' so to speak ... and it's fun to see how I can take her ideas and weave them into my own.

This image is based on a photo reference of a field of bluebells in partial shade. I used Unryu papers in the shadows to darken them, and then used some of those paint colors I've been playing with this week. I wanted to keep the work impressionistic and yet filled with vibrant color.

When I finished this, C and I took a short drive around our county to photograph some of the old barns sitting in some of the prettiest yellow fields. Somehow this work really had me wanting to play more with yellow, purple and turquoise!

It's back to work and yet, sigh, another busy week. It's the last week of classes, and so there should be a small wind-down by the end of it.

Have a great one!

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

Not only do I love the deep blues but the combination of turquoise purple and yellow is fantastic. And of course I love the "blue spruce" look of the tree framing the right. This is gorgeous. I am so happy you are having so much fun with Karlyn's new book because I'm having so much fun enjoying what you create as you are inspired by it and your past collage experiences.

Have a great week.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Wezz said...

Love the colors, Lin! And I wish spring would come here so I can see beautiful pansies like your previous post... Oh btw, I get to go to Venice soon! DH has meetings there... Aren't I just lucky???

Pat said...

This painting is wonderfully juicy. Love it!

Joan said...

WOW!!! I love the intensity of the colors in this! It is beautiful!! I'll have to get a copy of Karlyn's book and check it out. She seems to be such an inspiration in your pieces lately. I wish I could make this pop off the screen to really examine the collage work.

Teri said...

WOWZERS, this is gorgeous with those vibrant colors.