Monday, May 10, 2010

South Carolina Pond and Spanish Moss

Arches 140#CP
9" x 12"

There are things about each place we live or visit that seem to stay with us and 'call' to us time and time again. Live oaks, Spanish Moss and water remind me of living in South Carolina and visits to a city filled with memory and feeling. This is from a photo I took during our visit several months ago. It evokes in me that same sense of place, tranquility and awe of a landscape gardened with grandeur and magnificent live oaks.

We were given a number of live oak seedlings that we have nursed for several months so that now, still in 6" flowerpots, they are almost 6" tall. I have a couple of plants that I'll continue to culture until they are large enough to place in my own landscape. But they are slow growing trees, and so I will probably never see a size close to the magesty of the magnificent oaks in Charleston, but I can at least hold a bit of their legacy and progeny close at hand.

I hope your day is wonderful!

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh my goodness Lin, altogether this is an incredibly gorgeous painting but the water just blows me away -- the colors -- reflecting the colors from the foliage and trees -- absolutely perfect!!!
BRAVO BRAVO
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

WOW!!!! I love the color and the composition of this!!! AWESOME!!!

Have a wonderful day!

Teri said...

JUST STUNNING! The realism, the composition, the colors, everything is perfectly beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat said...

There is a saying that you plant an oak for your children to enjoy. You are on your way. Your post was beautiful.

Teresa said...

This is a beautiful painting Lin!

Hope you're doing well.... we're busy as usual up our way.

Sue Seibert said...

I just love this, Lin!!