Sunday, June 13, 2010

Inspired by Sunflowers and Irridescent Medium

Daily Practice
Journal

When my friend, Jodi, came to paint this weekend, we worked on 'splatter and splash' to loosen up and approach our watercolors in a somewhat different manner. Fun! Jodi added to the play by sharing her Irridescent Medium to the work. I don't know if it shows up or not, but there is just a 'hint' of sparkle and shine to the painting. I can't wait to try this medium on snow!

This painting was based on the sunflowers that have sprouted by my bird feeder. There are several different kinds of sunflowers growing -- all indicating the various seed types a bag of sunflower birdseed contains.

Sunflowers are interesting --- the plants are allelopathic, meaning they exude a chemical that decreases the ability of other seeds to germinate. We haven't filled our birdfeeders in quite a while since the kitties pose a threat to them, so seeing these sunflowers come up and bloom was quite a delightful surprise. I'm going to let these flowers seed out so perhaps a few other surprises will bloom next year.

We have a house full of company coming for C's jam today - so I'll be scarce. The thunderstorm we had last night is supposed to 'repeat' itself all week, and temps are due to reach triple digits. Gracious, it's not even summer yet!

Stay cool!

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Lovely -- that beautiful yellow again -- you have created some masterpieces with it this spring! I remember sunflowers from when I was 3 and 4 years old. They seemed SO tall and were at the back of my babysitter's garden. A little scary at that age with their dark centers! But yours are lovely and I hope the birds enjoy them to the max!

Enjoy the music while you paint and rest up!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

These are so beautiful even if I can't see the sparkle, it sounds great.