Thursday, January 06, 2011

Snow at Dark


Snow at Dark
Originally uploaded by linfrye
1/8 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

No, no snow here -- yet -- but I am participating in a wonderful class by Virgil Carter on Painting with Color & Natural Light held on Wet Canvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12160512#post12160512). While I'm struggling with the technical information about shadows, light, local, expressive and imagined color, I think the 'stretch' these lessons provide will help me -- and others -- enormously! Check them out!

Here I was using a photo of snow in daylight and trying to create, by using color and light, memory and imagination, of that early dark purple/blue that renders such a marvelous 'hush' after a snowfall. While this is only a partial aspect of Virgil's lessons ... it was a challenge to move past the local colors of the photograph to imagination and memory -- fun! I hope to devote more time to these lessons over the weekend.

Right now we're having rain with flurries predicted tomorrow and perhaps a 'snow event' on Monday -- we'll see!

Have fun today -- keep your brushes wet!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh wow were the words when I opened your blog this morning -- the colors -- those fantastic trees but the best of all the sculpted snow and shadows of same. Simply marvelous Lin.

Glad you are enjoying the online class. I'm still waiting to hear about my drawing class and trying to catch on some odds and ends.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

Wow!!!!!!!!! Bravo! Awesome colors in this landscape. Wonderful job, Lin!

I thought about doing the online class but I'm into so many things on line now as it is. I'll have to pop in and see what everyone is doing.

Our forecast is for snow again tomorrow. If we get it I hope it will be more scenic than the last storm and stick to the trees so I can get some good photos and paintings. I no longer really care about the inconvenience of the storms...just the artistic potential. lol Have a great day.!

Teri said...

Beautiful scene with those beautiful colors! I will go over and check it out.