Monday, January 23, 2012

Olives

Olives by linfrye
Olives, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

1/8 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

Though I have been to Italy several times, I've never been there during the olive season. I have seen these incredible trees, old, gnarly and with the most challenging-to-paint leaf color - like a pale blue green. They're typically not too tall - maybe 10-15 feet - at least in the groves I've been to - and in the spring, their tiny white flowers are ever so fragrant. I've walked through the dappled sunlight under them, stumbled over their crawling roots - but have yet to see with my own eyes the turning of those wee flowers into the fruits that we love and the oil that we depend upon for our healthy cooking.

So each year, I return to painting olives ... symbol of peace, reminder of a country that has claimed my heart.

The weather has turned cold again, at least for today, with a warm up promised for the rest of the week. It'll be a week of planning for us with back to back workshops from February through May ...no restive winter for us. We'll be gearing up for gardening season!

BTW, we had a ball with the grands! I've never turned a pot on a wheel, before, but I could tell that my granddaughter is a natural. Her long fingers just gently molded that bit of play clay as easily as if she had been doing all her eight years of life. It'll be thoroughly dry when she returns and we can paint it. I'm so proud of her! And then both she and her brother and I made cupcakes, and finished the day with a tea party! Fun!

Hope your week is enjoyable too!

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Beautiful Lin! The color on the leaves is such an unusual and lovely color. I love blue spruces and other "blue/green" growing things. And the olives are superb. Growing up I only knew green olives with pimentoes; then later black olives; and now some of our local stores have whole buffets of different olives -- an incredible array of varieties.

Well, now I guess you'll turn into a potter too, along with all your many other talents -- I already know how well you can cook and bake and preserve.

Have a good week. Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

I love the rich color of the olives. Nnicely done!!!

I'm sorry you are still having trouble commenting on my blog. I miss seeing you there.

Sounds like a fun time with your grandkids! Those are great memories to treasure.