Friday, May 18, 2012

Oxford Hay and Barn

Oxford Hay and Barn by linfrye
Oxford Hay and Barn, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.
1/4 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

The hay, tall, golden, incredibly beautiful, is starting to be cut and rolled, and scenes like this (a combination of Oxford farms and fields) are my ride home companions. Each and every one thrills me to my soul, touching some core element of my being that, having been raised in the city, cannot be explained. I like to think that some of my family's earlier generations, growing up in rural parts of Italy, tended such farms, and their love of the land and working with its elements has somehow been passed through time to me.

This week, my housemate delighted us with a Netflix movie that took place in Italy (the name escapes me at the moment). Toward the end of all the action, the camera panned fields of hay - and as tired as I was after another too-intense week, I was immediately seized with emotion and an overwhelming sense of 'homecoming.'

I don't understand it ... but I do embrace it.... and try to capture a bit of that emotional bond I sense by painting hay bale after hay bale.

(Yep, even the folks around here find it unusual that someone carries on and on about their hay bales! LOL)

Work continues its intensity as does home activities. This weekend is the Granville Art Festival. Charles and his jam group will be performing and I'll have a tent and exhibition. I've been preparing for this over the last few weeks - so today we'll do a trial set-up to make the 10' x 15' area more attractive, and I'll bring my paints to try to get in a bit more time at the easel. It's been so busy that my Internet time and painting time has been squeezed .. and I truly miss the relaxation of visiting friends, being inspired by the incredible photographs and artwork, and using my painting time to unwind and rest.

I hope your weekend is terrific!

4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Fields of hay are so relaxing to look at. Lovely job!

Have fun at the festival. I hope people are in a buying mood!!! Enjoy!

Aquarell said...

Hi Lin.
Du malst die Landschaften einfach bezaubernd. Ich mag die Motive die Du auswählst und liebe die Farben.
Grüsse Dich
janina

djr-aquarelle said...

I love the light in the foreground. gorgeous landscape with your beloved haybales!

Lorraine said...

For some reason the photo doesn't show up on my computer; have checked for three days but I'm sure your favorite subject is once again a delight to the eyes.
Hugs,
Lorraine