Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Golden Splender - THANK YOU, Denis!

10" x 14" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

In the piedmont of North Carolina this year, the fall color is slow to arrive, but here and there, we are seeing a bit more of the reds and golds and oranges that we would have typically seen last month. The early yellows, however, are now turning dark gamboge - and in most hickories - more a burnt umber. Yet many more of our early yellow 'turners' ... have already lost over one-third to two-thirds of their leaves, especially the sycamore and tulip trees.

And so, I was inspired, once more, by one of Denis Collette's glorious capture: www.flickr.com/photos/deniscollette/7005671681/. His wonderful golden beauty reignited that 'I must paint more fall view' feeling that sends me straight to my painting table and has me joyously absorbed in the process of light, water, paint, color, and values. THANK YOU so much, Denis, for permission to use your incredible image -- but more -- for the inspiration!!! (BTW, I used a vertical format for my version in lieu of Denis' horizontal capture.) Please take a few moments to enjoy Denis' wonderful flickr stream -- and see for yourself just how AWESOME it is!

It's been a busy time here and our fabulous 70sF sunshiney weather has continued. On Friday, my dear daughter and her two girls came up to spend the night with us as we both attended my daughter-in-law's baby shower. What fun it was!! And I SO LOVED seeing my daughter and playing with Taylor and Riley!! They are growing by leaps and bounds -- and my gracious, their conversations - at ages 6 and 3 -- are so grown up! And holy moly, they NEVER keep still!!! How I wish for an iota of their energy!! LOL (BTW, my son's and dil's baby, a boy, is due mid-December.)

I spent Sunday with my son, his wife, her parents, and Emily and Nick enjoying the last day of the NC State Fair. My granddaughter 'encouraged' me to take one of those swirly rides with her - - which didn't look too wild. But by the time my stomach found its proper place and my hands stopped shaking, she, her brother and my son were having a good laugh at my 'wobbly state.' LOL Then to make matters even more topsy turvey, my son fooled me into taking yet another stomach-wrenching ride ....By the time I finally gathered myself -- I had to laugh -- though it took me a good long while to walk steadily .. and no, I never DID open my eyes on either of those rides and my knuckles were indeed WHITE ... geez ... the things we do for the folks we love!! LOL Anway, I won't be suckered into THAT experience again! LOL

We're to continue this marvelous weather for the rest of the week -- can't wait to get back out in it and walk on those crunchy leaves! Have a great week!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh this is glorious Lin and really does justice to Denis's beautiful photograph. Our colors here, as I finally got out and noticed yesterday, are in much the same state as yours with a few oranges now making their appearance. Glorious Fall -- how I love it. And how I love how you've portrayed it in this painting -- the details around and under the tree setting off the tree itself.

As for the fair rides -- you "fared" far better than I would have LOL. And I'm sure the children will remember this for years to come so you've given them a fun memory of nana!!
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

So beautiful Lin. It just screams AUTUMN!

Joan Tavolott said...

Gorgeous autumn colors!!! I can almost feel the crisp air looking at this one. Walk, enjoy, and crunch away!

Tiffany said...

Lovely painting, Lin. Glad to hear you had a wonderful weekend.