Sunday, November 11, 2012

Bittersweet Berries - After Jean Haines - Part 4

1/8 Sheet Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

Jean's workshop really made an impression on me - her ideas, approach to painting, FLOW of the paint, expressiveness, imagination.

After the first day of the workshop, I began playing with Jean's ideas - and have done several small paintings of bittersweet berries. I LOVE their red, orange and yellow colors.

This painting was done from memory -- from the walk I did prior to Jean's workshop and my memory of bittersweet berries along the roadside.

Looking at this painting now, I want to define those berries a bit more ... but love the washes and colors ...so I'll take the things I like about this quick, small painting and do another couple of exercises and see what happens ...

More workshop info to follow. (I've been involved all weekend in classes at Jerry's 'Art of the Carolinas' and will lots to share in the next week or so about those classes and experiences.

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

The colors and composition are gorgeous Lin. I can see why you'd want to have a few berries more defined but this painting can stand on its own as an excellent abstract -- one can imagine foliage, flowers, or even sunset through trees. I love it. Can't wait to see and hear more.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Jutta Richter said...

This series is so fresh! I must be a gorgeous workshop!

Joan Tavolott said...

Great rich color and loose look. I like the abstract look of this, but if I was doing it would probably add more definition to the shape of the berries too.

Hope the Art in the Carolinas was fun!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Lin - I think these have lovely colors. There is something so wonderful about this way of painting. Thank you so much for sharing. Your work inspires me to splash around a bit and have fun. Have a great week-end.

Jane said...

Awesome colors and freedom love this work ...and the one before !