Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Plums after Jean Haines 2012 - Final

9" x 12" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP


With the approach of Hurricane Sandy 24 hours away, the last day of Jean's workshop lost several participants as folks made their way home before the storm. In order to accommodate all the requests Jean received and in order to maximize the time remaining, Jean worked on a few more demons, and then launched into her prepared lesson to move us from 'free flowing practice' to work that was a bit more 'story telling.'

I was given permission earlier this year to paint from Rupa's fabulous plums www.flickr.com/photos/63848165@N08/5976774647/ and I had her photo reference with me. Though I painted these before in a more traditional way:
www.flickr.com/photos/linfrye/5993625708/ I wanted to see what they might look like in a looser style. (Thank you once more, Rupa!!!)

Jean was kind enough to demonstrate how she would approach this image, and for the rest of the workshop, I practiced. Each of my practice pieces came closer to the 'story' I wanted to tell... but this one, done a few days after the workshop, seems a bit closer to the combination of Jean's looseness and a bit more of my own style.

The workshop ended with the promise of Jean's return to New York next October, and then everyone scrambling to homes, last minute planes and trains, all to get out of harm's way.

It was an incredible workshop -- and I thank Jean for all her sharing of skills, enthusiasm, encouragement and joy!!!!

Can't wait to do it again next year! (without hurricanes, of course!)

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Very lovely, loose, free and flowing. I think you've got it!!!

So glad you had a chance to take her workshop and so intrigued to see the results.

Thanks so much for sharing so much with us.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

I think the added shapes in this make it! You still have her looseness but with a touch of Lin! Are we going to see the results of the workshops you took over the weekend?

I was hoping to go paint something today, but I've been on the internet ordering things I need and finalizing the printing of my first book...yes, I finally did it. I did a book of paintings of Long Island. I had a litte encouragement from a 40% off sale at Shutterfly. lol

Enjoy your day!

Jane said...

Fabulous free flowing plums, striking colors !

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights from Jean's workshop - I have enjoyed reading and seeing your feedback!
Regards Dawn