Monday, February 04, 2013

Winter Birch Waterscape

Winter Birch Waterscape by linfrye
Winter Birch Waterscape, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

7.5" x 11" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP
Webbing Spray

With the prediction from Punxsutawney Phil for an early spring as well as spotting crocus ready to bloom, I'm scrambling to post a few more snow paintings as I am still hoping for one or two more 'flurries' before that seasons arrival.

This small painting was a practice piece for a larger work using white webbing from Krylon (www.krylon.com/products/webbing_spray/). I love the abstract surface it creates which challenges me to find ways to respond to its spontaneous patterns. Lots of fun, and something we'll be experimenting with this month in my classes.

We're expecting temps in the 40s and 50sF this week with little chance of the white stuff. Seems our winter this year has been more swift and schizophrenic with its frequently changing highs and low than the restive, quiet season it once was. I miss that.

Hope your week is terrific!

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

What a great idea to use the white spray for snow. It's lovely and light. And of course I love the birches themselves. I also like the way you set them off to the side -- a different perspective with lots of blue sky.

We still have plenty of snow but it's supposed to be 40 today so I'm hoping at least my car window will clear although still no sun -- three days -- too long to go without sun!! I wouldn't survive in Alaska I guess.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Lynn said...

This is beautiful! I love the look of ice crystals in the air.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Lin - looks like you are trying to capture the last beautiful moments of winter. Do you spray that white webbing on before you start to paint? It makes a wonderful texture and gives such sparkle to your beautiful work. Have fun and enjoy these last quiet winter days.

Teri said...

So absolutely beautiful!!!!!!

Joan Tavolott said...

Beautiful job on this!!! I just love birches and this technique works well with the snowy look.

We had a dusting of snow overnight....nothing to get excited about...and light flurries on and off since. It is still cold..relatively speaking. Enjoy!

cindyzlogic said...

This is so gorgeous, Lin!! I love the look the spray gives!

Anonymous said...

So cool (in fact, freezing). Great use of color and perspective. You are so talented!