Monday, August 19, 2013

Pink Purple Hydrangea

Pink Purple Hydrangea by linfrye ..
Pink Purple Hydrangea, a photo by linfrye .. on Flickr.



12" x 16"
Arches 140#CP

Funny thing about hydrangeas - at least these old fashioned, snow-ball types -- they respond to the pH in the soil by showing their flowers as more pink for more alkaline soil or more blue if the soil is more acidic. This year, the same hydrangea that has been happily blooming a marvelous blue/purple had blooms of pink, blue, almost white and purple! I think it was having an identity crisis!

I have a new variety though, the name escapes me now, that is growing about 3 feet from this shrub that remains pink no matter the soil type. The blooms are far more delicate and paler -- but it is definitely always pink. I have too a smaller shrub of hydrangea, lace cap, that showed more blue this year and it resides right next to my 'old fashioned.' Go figure. Watching the appearance of the flower colors was like watching someone wearing a 'mood ring!'

Been a rainy weekend and a good catch up after several intense weeks ...Sun should be returning along with warmer, more typical temperatures.

Have a great week!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

How unusual. I knew about hydrangeas and the ph soil factor but I agree, I never seen one that had an identity crisis like yours!! But I think that makes it all the more interesting and beautiful.

Thanks for sharing this gorgeous "mixed up kid."

Hugs,
Lorraine

Lorraine said...

Oh my goodness I forgot to comment on the painting itself. It's gorgeous. I think you did a terrific job on the mix of colors in the flowers and I love love love the way you painted the leaves and background.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

Love the colors in your painting!!! You do these so well.

Hydrangeas always remind me of my grandmother, who grew blue ones in our backyard growing up...and we called them snowball bushes.

Enjoy the evening!

Patti G. said...

Lin,
absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!
Huggies,Patti