Sunday, November 17, 2019

Karlyn Holman


I learned of the loss of a dear friend today – Karlyn Holman. I met Karlyn years ago at an Art of the Carolinas event hosted by Jerrysartarama. I was passing by her room and noticed some of the most beautiful watercolors I had ever seen. I stopped by when her class was over, and told her how much I admired her work and how sorry I was to have missed her class. She told me about several of her books, and I left with one of them with Karlyn trusting me to send her the money for the book (which I did). The following years, I took more of her classes, bought more of her books, DVDs, followed her to Umbria, France and Tuscany, took more of her classes, on-line and off, and always thanked her for the incredible inspiration she was not only for my artwork, but also for the way she taught. I went on to emulate her in my own teaching. If I have achieved anything in my artwork – I owe it to Karlyn. I am heartbroken to lose this incredible woman – always generous, kind, willing to help, talented, creative, innovative, always smiling and always with the greatest sense of humor. My deepest condolences to her family and other friends and folks she inspired. We were so fortunate to have had Karlyn in our lives.

6 comments:

Sandi said...

Sad to hear. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Joan Tavolott said...

I was so sad to hear about Karlyn's passing. I feel like I knew her, even though I never took a workshop with her. I guess it was from watching her videos so many times. Another friend of mine traveled with her on her last trip to Europe and I knew she wasn't teaching but had invited people to join her. Jeannie thought of Karlyn as her mentor and she gave her all sorts of advice about holding international workshops. She will be missed by many. I looked for an obituary for her but didn't find one. How did you find out? I had gotten an email this week from her gallery saying that she was doing poorly but saw nothing since then. Once again this proves that it doesn't pay to wait or delay doing something. You never know what will happen.

Hugs!
Joan

annie said...

Awww, Lin... I am so sorry. A great loss of a friend and teacher.I don't know her books. I will have to look them up. My sympathy to you and her family and students.
Big hug for you.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Lin. Peace.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Lin Sorry too about Karlyn's passing. I have a couple of her wonderful books. She was certainly very talented. You have my sympathy friend. Hugs!

Sketchbook Wandering said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. A friend and teacher who inspired you...and sounds like her books/videos will continue to inspire people. I will look her up.