Saturday, February 03, 2007

Artists Day Out






(Images above - Laura's wonderful 8 minute sketch of me -- my attempt at cafe sketching and proportions -- SIGH! and my sketching at the Ackland-Asian gallery)
Laura (http://laurelines.typepad.com/) and I finally found a day to get together and do our own mini-sketchcrawl! Ever since we met last spring at the JC Raulston Arboretum for our first sketch date, we have been trying to match our schedules to have another day together. Yesterday -- we finally did it!!!! And oh my -- it was GLORIOUS! and what a gift, not just the day itself, but getting to know better, this most gracious, talented, knowledgeable, generous and kind, sweetest of ladies.

I met Laura at her beautiful home, and together we went to the www.unc.edu/depts/ackland)! Trust me, these are even more grandglorious in person!

I wasn't having the best of sketch days, but I focused on some tea bowls (I'm finding I really do love vessels of all kinds), and then, under Laura's inspiration, decided to attempt my second ever figure (my first is here). And while I have MUCH to learn in regard to figures (among MANY other things I'm learning and relearning! LOL), I sort of like this in its wonkiness.

I have to tell you a funny story. As I was standing before this boxed figure, the security guard, thick with what appeared to be a French accent, walked behind me and sort of surreptitiously took note of what I was sketching. Embarrassed at my ineptitude, I joked "It's good practice." Where upon he so nicely says to me, "A camera -- much easier!" I laughed, and he finished, "Same price!" (alluding to admission fee) and I thought I'd lose it!!! LOLOL

Anyway, Laura and I, hungry by then, proceeded to Panzanella's for a fabulous soup and sandwich lunch. Laura sketched the the fellow sitting at the window, and I attemped figures trying my best for proportions ... ah well, more practice time for me!! LOL

Then, my dear friend, encouraging me to sketch LARGER!!!! demonstrated her point by sketching ME -- in under eight minutes -- I swear ...! And yes, it looks like me ... although she was kind to keep the shopping bags OFF my eye bottoms!! (Thank you Laura for this gift -- and for allowing me to share it here!) Isn't it fantastic!!

Buoyed by food and non-stop sharing, art discussions, techniques, family matters, and even a spattering of politics, we headed out for dessert and gelato ... and then it was time to head home before the traffic built to a slow, longer than necessary drive back home.

THANK YOU, Laura -- for a fantastic, fun, inspiring day! My only wish is that these 'art-dates' weren't so far between one and another ....!


(I didn't add color to these - just not enough time in a day!)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun day, and glad you shared it. Wish I were there!

Teri said...

What a glorious glorious day. To spend it with another artist just doing 'art' is like a dream come true. And knowing that it was Laura-wow-doesn't get any better than that!

Your people sketches are great Lin! Thanks for sharing your wonderful day!

Laureline said...

What fun to read about our day! Thank you for telling the story! I'm going to post my sketches as soon as I can today---yours are even better in person ;D.

Brenda Yarborough said...

Oh how fun!! You SO deserved this art date!!! I may be a little green with envy, but am so happy you had such a wonderful day with such a wonderful artist/friend!!! Your sketches are delightful, I'm so glad you posted them.

Sue Seibert said...

What a wonderful day you and Laura had, Lin. I am so jealous. Wish we were close to someone to share with...I do with my quilting, but not my art.

Anyway, love to you, and have a great weekend.

Linda said...

What a fun and wonderful day! Your story is hilarious, and I love the sketches! Remember, anytime you come through Knoxville...
:-)

Jane LaFazio said...

Hey, I wanna come sketch with you two too! Lovely day, and how fun to "know" you and laura both!

Terri said...

Sounds like an absolutely BRILLIANT day. I'm very envious. :o) So glad you two lovely people managed to get together and share something you love to do. Hugs. x

Patti G. said...

Your day with Laura sounded marvelous Lin!!!!!!! Your sketches are great and Laura caught you well, because my heart panged when I saw it .........knew it was you and I miss you! Hugs,Patti

Felicity Grace said...

I'd love to come too! What a faulous day you two must have had, I would have loved to see your sketches in person. Hope you manage more days like this, thanks so much for sharing it!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Please list me among the jealous, Lin. Sounds like a blissful day. I'd say it won't be long before you can compare today's people sketches with tomorrow's peoples sketches and see the same amazing progress you did with your bananas. That is also a lovely post earlier on about the encouragement you have received and now can pass on.

Anonymous said...

It was fun to read about your wonderful day, inspiring.

caseytoussaint said...

This was a great post - such fun to have a double perspective on such a great day. I love the fact that two of my favorite EDM people did a mirror-image post.

Cin said...

I treasure the memory of my day with Laura I wish everyone could be as fortunate as you and I and meet such a wonderful lady