Sunday, February 25, 2007

At the Museum with Sue


At the Museum with Sue
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
After several attempts at a meet-up, Sue from 'Love Italy" (http://www.flickr.com/photos/loveitaly) and I met yesterday at the Museum of Life and Science for a short sketch crawl. IT WAS FABULOUS!! And she's every bit as lovely and wonderful as her artwork!

We had so much to squeeze into a quick three hours -- getting acquainted, a RUN through parts of the museum -- filled with youngsters for the premiere of the new dinosaur exhibit -- sharing various sketch and watercolor methods, supples, techniques, paints, papers, and oh yes, getting in a sketch.

We decided to sit within the balmy confines of the tropical butterfly house -- warm on this chill morning -- and filled with lush vegetation and bright flowers, and the fastest moving butterflies! There were a number of 'wood peacocks' or some bird sort of named that were so shy we could barely catch aglimpse of the pair, let alone a sketch. And for me, even those a beautifuly black, red, and yellow tropical butterfly landed on my knee, by the time I whipped off my reading glasses to focus on the markings, shape and size -- it was off!!! But the warmth of the house, scent and color of the vegetation, the bright dashes of exquisite butterflies, and unusual calls of the tropical birds -- was a moment suspected in utter beauty and relaxation!

We took up residence on the same bench; Sue facing one scene, me facing another. There, after a brief walk around the gardens within the glassed shelter and after admiring all views that would make perfect sketch material, we settled ourselves in. Sue's camera battery was a bit on the low side, and I completely forgot mine, and until I learn how to adjust my wee TREO, that wonderful device didn't render first-quality photos -- but I was able to manage a few shots for a good memories!

We sketched about an hour and a half; the numbers of visitors to the butterfly house increasing as the morning turned toward lunch. One small child was fascinated with Sue's painting, and so Sue, ever generous, let her have a go at her paints!

My garden class (History of the Garden in Art, Literature and History) forced me to leave long before I wanted to. Sue stayed a bit after I left ... but OH, how much fun we had! I don't think there was a moment of silence since we hugged one another at the ticket counter! LOL

We will definitely do more of these!

16 comments:

Linda said...

It sounds like you had a fantastic visit with Sue -- isn't it the most fun thing of all to find a good "art friend"?
:-)

Brenda Yarborough said...

This is such a lovely entry! I especially like the leaves and how you've put a tad of pink in them. What a neat day!!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

So much fun ...you are making us all jealous...your flowers are really becoming stellar...think its from your deep knowledge of them?

jill said...

love this picture! it's realistic and yet impressionistic at the same time. i'm trying to learn to do more of the impressionistic instead of exactly realistic -- so this really struck a chord with me!

Anonymous said...

What a great story and I just love the picture that came out of it. It is great to have a friend that shares your interests and that you can hang out with. So glad you had a great day!

Teri said...

What a wonderful day to meet up with another artist. I love this sketch!

Jana Bouc said...

Grrr. Blogger just deleted my nice long comment and said to try again. OK, let's see if I can remember....I said I was envious of your butterfly house. I'd love to be able to visit the tropics anytime I wanted. Your day sounds wonderful and the painting is lovely and conveys so much lush warmth and softness. Sounds like a great day and I bet when you look at your painting you can see, hear, and feel so much of it--better than any photo.

Deborah said...

How much fun! I want to do a sketchcrawl. Sounds like you had a great time in such a short time. Your drawing is a lovely memory of a lovely day.

Anonymous said...

Lin, glad to hear you had a chance to take a break from your heavy work load. What a special day & your sketch is beautifuly done!

Terri said...

Ooh wish I could take your class. Sounds like a lovely day.

Felicity Grace said...

Love the value range here with those darker shady areas under the leaves. Sounds like you had a super day!

Jules said...

Lin, - Lovely,lush plant! I like your chouse of greens. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and now you'll have a strong recollection of the day everytime you revisit this drawing.

caseytoussaint said...

You've really captured the atmosphere - beautifully done! And thanks for the great description of a wonderful day.

Lorraine said...

Oh what a great day with Sue -- I'm so happy for you to have had this experience. And the butterfly house description -- oh my, I'll say it again, you write as well as you draw and paint. I could see it all in my mind's eye. The drawing is lovely and filled with lot sof shades and details, just as your "story" is filled with wonderful details. Sue sounds like a sweetheart. It must have been difficult to pull yourself away -- hope the class was worth it!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing it.

Jane LaFazio said...

hey Lin, I just saw the photo of you sketching at the butterfly house, over on Love Italy's flickr pages and came over here to see your painting. Lovely painting and lovely day!! you should also post the pic of you sketching! And our next san diego sketchcrawl is April 22..book now. :-)