Friday, February 02, 2007
A New Lesson
Well, after all that you'd think that my 5'1" frame is now closer to six feet !!! NAH, still can't reach the top of the cupboard .... BUT, I've learned so MUCH in those hours!
* Another reason I love sketching flowers -- they're so forgiving!
* That exactness is admirable .. and using a ruler, my new foe, has its merits and when done well, really really helps a lot!
* That math, fractions, proportions are as important now in sketching as when I tell my students they need to know those skills in order to mix the proper amount of fertilizer!! (oh how this lesson bit me, the teacher!! my students are going to love this! LOL)
* Just how much more PRACTICE I need on buildings and perspectives....guestimates just don't work in fine work!
* What often looks so 'easily' done ... those architectural scenes, the house on the hill, the barn, the cluster of hill towns and all those angled rooflines -- is FAR MORE DIFFICULT (at least for me right now) than I could have imagined
* That struggling through such lessons fortifies ones determination to really LEARN a skill, and also gives a student of art, like me, clear direction toward learning even more new skills.
* And just how wonderful a good eraser can be.