Thursday, March 01, 2007

Contour Calm


Contour Calm
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
My week has been one of the most tense of the six years I've been here at the college. A dear, sweet friend of mine suggested that I do a bit of modified contour drawing in order to relax and move my mind in a direction beside worry and fret. The sun was shining, and yet it was a bit too chilly to be outdoors without moving, so I drove to one of the college's lakes and found a spot to park beside a couple of nesting geese.

Students passed me, the geese took a swim, and yet, sitting there, eyes on the geese and back to my sketch, lost in line and form and sunshine's warmth, the week's tensions seemed to ease, I could finally take a deep breath ...and after 45 minutes, I could return to my desk MUCH more relaxed and cheerful.

I can't say the sketch is one of my better ones, and I did wind up 'modifying' it some last night ... but the PROCESS of doing this sketch and the results to my stressed mind and body will be remembered and repeated.

THANK YOU, cara!, for your brilliant suggestion!!

10 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

There is no sign of stress in your lovely delicate sketches/paintings Lin. Hope life gets less hectic for you very very soon!

Teri said...

I call these days taking an 'artist's date'. These small trips relax us just wonderfully. And you did just great. The scene is even relaxing.

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is very nice because the peace that enveloped you is expressed here. So glad you could unwind with it, what a wonderful way to spend an hour.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, girlfriend...making art really does help, and as Felicity says, the stress doesn't show in your work. Lovely!

Brenda Yarborough said...

You have succeeded in capturing a peaceful scene - so happy this setting and "art date" helped you! Hang in there, this hectic time WILL pass.

Anonymous said...

What a special experience sitting next to nesting geese for a quiet moment. Great sketchbook page!

Anonymous said...

Lin, I'm glad you took a break & did this wonderful sketch. It sounds like you have had way to much stress lately.

Anonymous said...

Oops! That was me in that last anonymous post, forgot to put in user name.
Dawn

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Isnt it funny how relaxing it is to be in the zone when you are drawing....and contour drawings are always just plain fun...now why didnt i think to go to duck pond here...was my kids fav spot when they were little...

Terri said...

It sounds like a perfect way to spend 45 minutes. Good for you.