Monday, March 05, 2007

Winter or Sweet Daphne

Winter Daphne Daphne

winter daphne sketch pencil sketch


2 26 06

I first wrote about this amazingly scented, winter blooming plant last year, and so I was looking forward to it blooming again this year.

Signs of spring are all around me, and with bright sunshine pulling me outdoors yesterday, I stepped off the porch to the intoxicating perfume of the two Daphnes planted by my porch.

I didn't dawdle long -- it was still only in the 40sF! So I clipped two stems, placed them in water, poured another cup of HOT coffee and began to sketch. It is ever amazing to me the difference I see in my work when I sketch first thing in the morning and when I sketch after a long, tiring day! Sure, sure, it stands to reason, I know. But I still find it amazing! And it sure makes me yearn for retirement!(Not happening any time soon, darn it! )

Anway, after spending a day with Sue last week and admiring her 'washy' approach to painting, I thought I too might use a bit more water in my washes and see how loose I could make the treatment of this plant. My husband, when I told him of my plan, insisted that I not lose my style. "Style," says I, "I have a style?" LOL Why is it always easier to see someone else's style than one's own??? Anyway, he explained that he liked my 'lines' as well as my washes, and wanted me to be sure to 'keep my lines.' I have to admit, I am over-the-top crazy for line and wash so I had an 'inkling' of what he was suggesting. I tend to like the softness of pencil line so I wasn't sure I wanted to use any ink on this flower, since the plant itself, though rugged enough for cold winter nights, still seemed to me so delicate with its heady fragrance.

So I sketched the daphne, then used a wetter approach to the washes. I have to admit that it is at this point I tend to 'fiddle' with the paint .... and so to AVOID that ... I left the room, took a shower, filled the bird feeders, and dabbled until I knew the paint was dry. I don't always have this luxury when I'm at work or sketching late into the evening, so it was good for me to practice this! I returned to the painting, now dried well, and added a few dark values (something my dear friend is always reminding me to do!), and finished the daphne.

For comparison, I went back last year, February 26, to find the daphne I sketched then. I think I like this year's better.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lin, the Sweet Daphne is just beautiful. Nice work.

Rachel Murphree said...

I can see your growth in the year, both are lovely, but the current one still retains your lines but has lovely washes and blending of colors. Beautiful!

Teri said...

Lin, they are both beautiful! And I want to smell them! :) Your growth is apparent everytime you sketch something, but it is fun to compare. isn't it funny how some things just demand to have lines?! My cactus are like that-they just demand lines.

jill said...

great job -- i love the picture from this year. your improvement is obvious, but just the amount of improvement is impressive! love the picture!

pedalpower said...

Beautiful! I love the linework too...and adding those darks in really makes it pop.

Kunya said...

Wow, I like the washes...and what an improvement. Seeing your work makes me believe all the effort is worthwhile.

Brenda Yarborough said...

Ditto to what everyone else has said! You certainly deserved to have a morning to linger over a painting! I'm so glad you chose to do something that you had done a year prior - it makes for a very lovely comparison.

Anonymous said...

Lin,
Loved this entry - and all of the reflection on what you like and why - and how you left it to dry and then added darks. I too like 2007 better than 2006 - how about your husband?
Shirley

Lynn said...

This is gorgeous. Your work, and your improvement over the past year, is a real inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing your art.

Linda said...

Lin -- this shows very well how your art has grown over the last year. Look at how well you control the flow of paint, how you detail the shape with line, but with an economy of line ... Just wonderful! I love visiting your blog!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Daphne. I love what you did with the stains on top -- you seem so much more comfortable with paint as you go. I think we are all witnessing your amazing growth.

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Lovely job...never heard of the plant before...but I DO Love this sketch

Anonymous said...

Lin! I love you daphne! I like them both, but I agree that there is a difference between the two indicating progress in your painting/drawing skills! You are an inspiration!---Carol C.

Terri said...

Absolutely gorgeous Lin. One of the best yet I think. I REALLY like this one a lot. Well done. :o)

Sue Seibert said...

Just dropped in to say him and love ya!

Anonymous said...

Both are lovely. They make me want to see the real thing. They are almost different styles. I agree though, I like this year's the best.

laserone_ said...

These are really wonderful. I love how the watercolor looks, how you left white areas as accents. Really beautiful. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice job on this. I have a tree outside that blooms in the winter, I had no idea ther was such a thing! Now the Sweet Daphne. Learn something new every day.

Jana Bouc said...

GEORGEOUS!!! And the darks are so important...I'm still learning that lesson! I just saw a black and white print of one of my orange juicer painting in a newsletter and it looks so washed out. Now I can see exactly where more darks should be. I'm tempted to go back in and work on the painting and "finish it" even though it's already been professionally framed and all sealed up. I guess I'll just have to paint another one of the same thing better.