Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Plein Air Iris


Plein Air Iris
Originally uploaded by linfrye
The sun finally broke through the clouds yesterday for a few hours. Between errands at lunch, I set up a camp stool in front of these tall, almost-white and pale blue iris blooming along the fence at the kitchen garden. In the 20 minutes I had, I sketched in the flowers, then had to dash again.

After work and several student related issues, I reached the B&B around 7 pm --- and found a similarly colored iris growing n Rebecca's yard. I grabbed my camp stool and started to paint my earlier sketched flowers.

After I knocked over my pan of water, painted in the sky and background, and then began on the flowers, I felt a bit of rain -- just a fine mist -- but the sky was darkening and threatened more showers. About the time I put down my paint palette, I received an urgent call from one of my instructors ... and had to take a bit of time to deal with that..... SIGH

So this 'plein air' event is about as patch-worked as it could get. I finished it in ink giving up on subtle shadings and fine painting!!! LOL

6 comments:

Teri said...

Yikes, what a day but you are persistant with always great results!

Joan said...

Ah, the trials of painting outdoors! I like the composition of this against the fence. The ink is a nice touch.

Unknown said...

I have often wondered how all those artists accomplish so much outdoors, when the few times I have attempted it, it either rained, got windy, or the insects decided to have a paint party. I used to paint outside when we lived in Hong Kong, but the weather usually was more predictable than here. Your painting is lovely none-the-less. Thanks for stopping by Lin. Blessings, Karen

Tami said...

Ah Linnie, it is beautiful, just the same! You did an excellent job with their frilly forms! The rain is a good thing, I'm sure you are still behind...

Lorraine said...

Well all the interruptions sure didn't affect the beauty of the painting. I love the subtle colors in the Iris against their deeper darker leaves. And I like the subtle shades on the fence and, as always, your sky!
Interruptions; we had a whole seminar on this at work -- I won't go there!!

Linda said...

Iris already? I need to get out more ...
;-D This is beautifully done! Despite all the interruptions, you managed to pull it all together!