Wednesday, May 14, 2008

IOP Dunes and Sundrops


IOP Dunes and Sundrops
Originally uploaded by linfrye
While visiting Charleston, we had an opportunity to visit the exquisite beach area of the Isle of Palms. I raised my children there many many years ago, and walking the white sands, listening to the seagulls, splashing a bit in the Atlantic was almost a 'homecoming' for me.

In the dunes, a cluster of Sundrops was in full glory, and I captured it on film to paint.

I brought home a few seashells, all the while remembering Ann Morrow Lindberg's treasure of a book "Gift from the Sea" and feeling very much like she must have when she wrote it ....

7 comments:

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Lin-this is just lovely!
hugs, chris

Joan said...

Lin - LOVE IT!!!! As a beach lover, I so relate to this! It looks so relaxing. You did an excellent job on this...great grasses and flowers and staircase. And you actually know what the flowers are without using a generic term like my "dune grasses." LOL I'm heading down to the beach today and hope to do a small painting there. Want to join me?

Claudia said...

Wonderful painting and blog entry! I have read the book "Gift from the sea " as well and it is one of my all-time favourites! What she wrote about women in general and their tasks and their life is still so true...

Anonymous said...

If I hadn't seen this on your blog I would have sworn it was a Kate painting and you know that's a compliment!!! It's just perfect!

Teri said...

Lin, this is just fantabulous!!!!!!! Another one of my favorites!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely rembrances and a lovely painting! I too love AML's book and have read it several times.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Robyn Sinclair said...

Beautiful, Lin. Everything about it, sky birds and the grasses. What lovely memories.