Thursday, May 08, 2008

Mobile Unit Front Beds


Mobile Unit Front Beds
Originally uploaded by linfrye
What a phenomenal day!!! I think we've walked four dozen miles -- at least it feels like it!

We visited two huge gardens in Charleston, SC - Magnolia and Middleton Plantations, then went downtown Charleston to photograph and study the plantings there. TONS upon TONS of hidden gardens, and the most glorious and creatively planted window and sidewalk boxes. All of our photo cards are FULL, so I'm anxious to download them all (4 cameras worth!!! LOL) when we get back to the office today.

But our own gardens, especially as we (my coworkers and I) discussed the differences in plantings, design, style ...are similiar in many ways. We've used many of the same plants -- like the red knock-out rose that is in full glory in front of the Arboretum Mobile Unit and the red Japanese maple, and the viburnums. I think we (as above) had planted more bulbs -- at least ours are still evident in the flowerless leaves and Charleson's azalea and peak bloom season for spring plantings was at least 2-3 weeks ago ...

It's been a full, informative, and dazzling trip -- so much beauty!!!!!!

When we got back to the motel last night, our feet were so swollen, hot and sore -- but the night was still magically balmy, and we sat by the pool and discussed our findings. I sketched a bit but I haven't had a moment to paint ... later this week, I hope.

Meanwhile, it's another long drive back to work and NC ....

5 comments:

Joan said...

Your trip sounds exhausting!!! Rest those feet, but keep your sketchbook handy. Nice job on this one!!!

Sandy said...

What sites you have seen, I love the sketches, More!

"JeanneG" said...

I saw on Joan's blog that you want to meet and paint with her. I had to see how far you were going to drive. I like your paintings. Nice blog. Sounds like you do a lot of traveling.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, bright and happy painting. And the soft, faint evergreens in the back set it off to perfection! How you have the energy to paint I'll never know.....
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

This is just beautiful!