Friday, June 13, 2008

Poppies


Poppies
Originally uploaded by linfrye
The temperatures are finally down to a manageable 90F, but the air quality has been deemed code 'red' - dangerous - due to a huge wildfire in the southeastern part of NC ... winds have shifted, bringing smoke, dangerous air quality and particulate matter into our region, and thus we are advised to stay indoors if possible.

The weather around the US and elsewhere continues to sober us -- here in the US between wildfires, tornadoes, floods, and the drought that is creeping back into our state, it seems as though Mother Nature is having a fit.

Still, we look for signs of hope and cheer --- I'd like to offer these bright poppies (painted from a photo I took of those growing in Smithfield last month and offer them as hope for my friends in California, Iowa, NC, and especially today for San, whose daughter undergoes a major operations.

We are all hoping for far better times ...

8 comments:

Teri said...

These are blooming right now in Wisconsin and yours are as beautiful as they are.

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

I love, love, love these poppies! thank you for the well wishes. my head is still above water here in Iowa, but it is getting harder to find a dry spot!!
hugs, chris

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Another beauty.

I'm sorry, just red you are adviced to stay indoor and also about the bad weather in US. I hope everything will be soon alright!!

Good luck to your fiends' daughter.

Joan said...

I love poppies and you did them so well!!! I finally got a few photos of them yesterday when my sister, Michelle, and I were out plein air painting together. We needed you with us to identify so unusual flowers we saw growing at the NJ Botanical Gardens. Isn't the weather across the country wild lately?

Robyn Sinclair said...

Beautiful watercolour of your poppies, Lin, I love the composition and the natural texture you've achieved.

I do hope the weather and health of your friend is no on the mend. You always bring such joy whenever you visit our blogs, I know it must be bad for you to mention it. Love and best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lin what an incredible painting. The shading on the poppies is just beautiful. They really seem to be bobbing in the wind. You've brightened up a lot of lives with this.
Thanks for the beauty.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Carole said...

Your poppies shine with hope, Lin. They are absolutely beautiful. Sending hopes of cool rain and fresh air your way ...

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! It's true what you say about Mother Nature seeming to have a fit -- a temper tantrum maybe about how unfair we've all been to Mother Earth with the pollution and all. Sorry to hear about the heat and drought and all there. We're in a drought here too.