Tuesday, September 30, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! A Milestone


HAPPY BIRTHDAY! A Milestone
Originally uploaded by linfrye
A Milestone

I turn 60 today – whew! So I refuse to put all those candles on this wee cupcake! LOL

It's taking me a while, and still is I suppose, to fully digest the milestone of this particular birthday. I've been thinking a lot, and what comes to mind are those words of John Denver in his song "Poems, Prayers and Promises":

I’ve been lately thinking
About my life’s time
All the things I’ve done
And how its been
And I cant help believing
In my own mind
I know I’m gonna hate to see it end

Vie been lately thinking
About my life’s time
All the things Vie done
And how its been
And I cant help believing
In my own mind
I know I’m gonna hate to see it end

Vie seen a lot of sunshine
Slept out in the rain
Spent a night or two all on my own
Vie known my lady's pleasures
Had myself some friends
And spent a time or two in my own home

And I have to say it now
Its been a good life all in all
Its really fine
To have a chance to hang around
And lie there by the fire
And watch the evening tire
While all my friends and my old lady
Sit and pass the pipe around

And talk of poems and prayers and promises
And things that we believe in
How sweet it is to love someone
How right it is to care
How long its been since yesterday
And what about tomorrow
And what about our dreams
And all the memories we share

The days they pass so quickly now
Nights are seldom long
And time around me whispers when its cold
The changes somehow frighten me
Still I have to smile
It turns me on to think of growing old
For though my life’s been good to me
There’s still so much to do
So many things my mind has never known
Id like to raise a family
Id like to sail away
And dance across the mountains on the moon

I have to say it now
Its been a good life all in all
Its really fine
To have the chance to hang around
And lie there by the fire
And watch the evening tire
While all my friends and my old lady
Sit and pass the pipe around

And talk of poems and prayers and promises
And things that we believe in
How sweet it is to love someone
How right it is to care
How long its been since yesterday
What about tomorrow
What about our dreams
And all the memories we share ….

After all these years, events, day-to-day stressors and crises, loses and joys, all of these have taken their toll and can be read in the wrinkles at my eyes, the ‘smile’ lines around my mouth, the slower pace I’ve had to keep, the muscles that are gradually losing their firmness. There have been many accomplishments over the years, many more to come, I hope! LOL And my friends and sweet husband tell me I’m aging ‘well!’ LOL

But this particular milestone has me looking over my life, counting my incredible blessings, and feeling very grateful for the time I’ve been allotted on this grand, good earth, for the family, friends, opportunities to work, to contribute to the world in my own small way, in the words of John Denver to really believe: “It’s been a good life, all in all!”

Thank you dear friends for sharing it with me!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lin!! Great time for reflection and joy in your wonderful family.

Teresa said...

Love your colorful little cupcake.... and A HAPPY BIRTHDAY to YOU!!! :-) Wishing you a year full of love, laughter.... and art!

Nel Jansen said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Lin. You refresh and inspire the rest of us with your daily artwork, and your unflaggingly grateful attitude. I'm richer for knowing you even a little. Blessings!

Felicity Grace said...

A very Happy Birthday Lin, and wishing you many, many more filled with love and creativity! Lovely post, it does us all good to reflect and count our blessings from time to time!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is indeed a milestone but one from which you can look back on some wonderful memories. Your writing was beautiful and your cupcake incredible! WOW! I'm sorry you had to be sick on your birthday but maybe this means you've gotten out of the way for the year LOL. I'm wishing
many many happy years ahead for you Lin filled with all things art, all things cat, and the love of your family and friends intermingled with it all.
Love and Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIN! mAY YOUR DAY BE ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL.
And amen to your words.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Lin! May your year be as luscious and gay and sweet and colourful and naughty and liplicking good as this delightful cupcake!
Ronell

Odd Chick said...

Very happy 60th to you and thank you for sharing your time and talent and beautiful art with the world. Your blog is like a beautiful card I open frequently to brighten up a day.

Joan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I love the lyrics to that song..."the days pass so quickly now"... Isn't that the truth!!! I'm only a year and 2 months behind you. I hope we can all look back and smile at the memories and look to the future for great tomorrows!!! Are there enough of those beautiful cupcakes for all of us?

Nita Van Zandt said...

Happy Birthday, fellow Libra!! May you have a wonderful day! (And it's my birthday tomorrow!)

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Happy Birthday Lin!!
hugs, chris

Laura Frankstone said...

Oh, happiest birthday, dear Lin! I'm so privileged to know you and to have experienced your wonderful spirit and energy first hand. It would take at LEAST 60 years for a person to have evolved as beautifully as you have. And I can attest to the beauty of your laugh lines, too ;D.

Carol C said...

Happy Birthday, Lin!!! It's been a pleasure watching your art making skills develop, and your pleasure in making art is contagious! If only I had your daily discipline......Carol C.

Anonymous said...

Happy B'day Lin!! Sixty is sexy you know!!! I love viewing your art creations -- they are all fab!
gg, Lorr's friend in LEX

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Dear lin, have the most woderful year, full of joy with you dear people and positive emotions touching your heart!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dear!!!


You baked a wonderful pancake.

Lisa Adams Reed said...

What you wrote is a delicious as your cupcake looks! Happy bday!
Lisa