Saturday, September 06, 2008

Marsh and Approaching Storm


Marsh and Approaching Storm
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Imagination Painting

All eyes these days have been turned to the sky as hurricane after hurricane threatens and lands in the US.

I painted this yesterday from my imagination as I watched clouds forming with Tropical Storm Hannah's approach.

As I write, Hannah has come ashore on the NC/SC border, and we are having lots and lots of rain and wind. Gratefully, our electricity and Internet connections are still holding, while flooding is threatening areas of the region.

Boots moved her babies yesterday to a spot in the woods that 'seemed' to be protected from the rain. Regardless, I set up a dry, covered and protected area on a corner of our porch. Early this morning when rains and winds woke me, I checked the porch, and thank heavens, Boots had moved her babies once again -- but this time, in the safe 'nest' on the porch. Sappy me -- I cried.

Hannah heads north later this morning, but creeks will rise and flooding will be a threat for a while longer.

Stay safe everyone. Keep your eyes on the sky -- Hurricane Ike is expected later this week.

8 comments:

Joan said...

I LOVE that moody, turbulent sky over the marsh!!!! I hope the storm wasn't too bad there. I think the worst of it will hit here late this afternoon until evening. I can stay indoors and stay dry painting. My hubby does plan to go out, so I hope he gets back before the heavier rain starts. Stay dry and safe. Hope the kitties are dry too!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

WOW.......
WOW, wow. This is awesome. It's so beautiful and full of atmosphere.

Stay safe.

Teri said...

OMG! this one is just awesome!!!!!

Smart cat!

Felicity Grace said...

Wow, that's incredible, there is real volume in that cloud!

Anonymous said...

Aww, so happy she came in from the woods. No telling what might have gotten to the babies. What a good "grammy" you are (oops, Nonna!). Your painting is wonderful, so foreboding looking. Neat!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Laura Frankstone said...

Cara, this is so very pretty---you really, really conveyed the immensity of this kind of weather. The light you've rendered is beautiful. I'm glad we had that five inches of rain, aren't you??

Carole said...

Lin, this is gorgeous! You obviously have a very beautiful imagination. I love those grasses, and the quality of the light on the water.

Glad you stayed safe from your first storm. Fingers crossed for you for the ones to follow.

Deb said...

Awesome sky! Fantabulous!!! Hope all is well.