Friday, May 01, 2009

Nasturiums


Nasturiums
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice

Got home at dark last night --- a long day, an even longer week. After unpacking and working on a few chores, I didn't have much time to devote to a painting, so I sketched a couple of nasturtium .... blooming now around the Arboretum gardens.

At the Earthfest this week, we had some of these perky flowers planted within a pot of red-leaf lettuce -- apparently the pot was a show-stopper, and we had folks asking about 'edible flowers.' A few of them were adventurous enough to taste a bit of leaf ...and were shocked at how 'peppery' they were. We sold a few more of our plant sale remains after these small demonstrations ... and that was good news too!

Today is catch-up day for me for those home chores and visits to banks, post office and the like. We've rain in the forecast, and we certainly need it. The vegetables I planted last week still look fresh, but the soil in the beds is mighty dusty as are our roads and waysides. Rain would certainly be welcome, too, to knock down the remaining bits of pollen.

Take care today!

4 comments:

Judybec said...

pretty nasturtium Lin!
That's something I may plant this year--- I haven't had any in the garden for a while -thanks for reminding me!

Anonymous said...

Ummm, I love the shading in both the flowers and the leaves and the details on both. Glad you are home and hope you can find a bit of time to rest and pain. Rain here off and on the last couple of days but just a bit here and there; we badly need some real rain too.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Both the blooms and leaves are just beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to say hi and take a look around. I see your work continues to shine and that despite your busy life you've managed to set up a couple of online stores for your work. Congrats! The RedBubble site is especially nice. I hope you're having great success!