Thursday, August 13, 2009

Figs


Figs
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

I arrived at the B&B last night pretty tuckered out after three days of registration and upteen meetings -- and there to greet me, two BOXES of freshly picked figs! Being the ol' softie that I am, I burst into tears ... geez! LOL Of course I had to eat a few -- sweet as summer rain --- and so I sketched a few of them for a card to thank Rebecca (the owner of the B&B where I stay during the week) for picking them for me. My weekend work is cut out -- fig preserves, fig jam, dried figs, and I'm wondering if I can get C to WRITE down his recipe for Portabello Mushrooms and figs? If I can, I'll share it here.

Though I have several small fig bushes on my property, the drought has made the fruit a bit smaller than normal, but these, I'm suspecting they're Brown Turkey (a larger variety than the English I have), were rich and ripe. They grew 90 miles south of where mine are growing - almost a half-zone difference. It only goes to show the importance of those 'planting zones' when one is planting a garden and expecting a harvest! I won't see my Brown Turkey figs this ripe until the end of the month!

Better go hunting for some canning jars!

Lin Frye
North Carolina

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely and so delicious looking. I love the rich browns. I love figs too but dried. But the mushroom recipe sounds wonderful. Hope this is your last day at work this week and that you can get some R&R this weekend, with lots of painting of course.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Aw, what a sweet gesture. Lovely figs. They will make a great card for sure.

Joan said...

What a YUMMY PAINTING!!! These look ready to eat! Well done!

Teresa said...

They look absolutely luscious! So rich and sweet looking!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Gorgeous - the gift and the painting. We've had our green figs, now I'm waiting for the black (my favourites) to ripen.