Thursday, August 13, 2009


Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice

I arrived at the B&B last night pretty tuckered out after three days of registration and upteen meetings -- and there to greet me, two BOXES of freshly picked figs! Being the ol' softie that I am, I burst into tears ... geez! LOL Of course I had to eat a few -- sweet as summer rain --- and so I sketched a few of them for a card to thank Rebecca (the owner of the B&B where I stay during the week) for picking them for me. My weekend work is cut out -- fig preserves, fig jam, dried figs, and I'm wondering if I can get C to WRITE down his recipe for Portabello Mushrooms and figs? If I can, I'll share it here.

Though I have several small fig bushes on my property, the drought has made the fruit a bit smaller than normal, but these, I'm suspecting they're Brown Turkey (a larger variety than the English I have), were rich and ripe. They grew 90 miles south of where mine are growing - almost a half-zone difference. It only goes to show the importance of those 'planting zones' when one is planting a garden and expecting a harvest! I won't see my Brown Turkey figs this ripe until the end of the month!

Better go hunting for some canning jars!

Lin Frye
North Carolina


Anonymous said...

Lovely and so delicious looking. I love the rich browns. I love figs too but dried. But the mushroom recipe sounds wonderful. Hope this is your last day at work this week and that you can get some R&R this weekend, with lots of painting of course.

Teri C said...

Aw, what a sweet gesture. Lovely figs. They will make a great card for sure.

Joan said...

What a YUMMY PAINTING!!! These look ready to eat! Well done!

Teresa said...

They look absolutely luscious! So rich and sweet looking!

Robyn said...

Gorgeous - the gift and the painting. We've had our green figs, now I'm waiting for the black (my favourites) to ripen.